1.5, error when view log

David Burleson

Jul 1, 2008, 8:09:47 AM7/1/08
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Hi everyone,

I just upgraded from 1.4 to 1.5 and have trouble viewing the Log
Messages. When I try i get prompted for Go offline, when then I select
'don't go offline', it asks again, select again and then gives the
following error:

File not found: revision 89, path '/o'

This happens with any log i try to view. If I select 'go offline' I get
a blank log. I know logs are being written as another team member can
view the logs via 1.4.

Any ideas how to fix this?

David

--
David Burleson
I.T. Manager

www.ephotozine.com
The UK's leading, award-winning, online photography magazine.
LEADING THE WAY! The first photo site to be ABCE accredited!
ABCE-authenticated figures of 411,726 unique visitors and 5,841,279 impressions every month!

www.ephotozine.tv
Recently launched video site with five channels covering everything from user uploaded content to professionally produced videos of reviews, tutorials and interviews - all dedicated to photography.

www.photodo.com
The world’s most established photography lens site - a huge free
resource of technical MTF tests, interactive in-depth user reviews
& ratings, news and discussion.

www.pentaxuser.co.uk
A dedicated quarterly club magazine for users of Pentax products.

www.fpme.co.uk
A bi-monthly subscription freelance photography magazine for
professionals and aspiring professionals.

www.guidetogreatphotography.co.uk
NEW BOOK RELEASE!
ePHOTOzine Guide To Great Photography: A book showcasing the
best photos on the site, with tips, techniques and advice.

Magezine Publishing Limited is registered in England and Wales as a limited company.
Registered Number: 5218362. VAT registration Number: 845 6759 78.
Registered Office: The Turbine, Shireoaks Triangle Business Park, Coach Close, Shireoaks, Nottinghamshire, S81 8AP.

DISCLAIMER: This email is confidential and its contents may not be disclosed to or used by anyone other than the named recipient. If you are not the addressee(s), you have received this email in error. Please notify the sender immediately then delete from your system. Any disclosure, copying, distribution or action taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. Magezine Publishing Ltd accepts no responsibility for software viruses, and all recipients should check for viruses before opening any attachments.

Stefan....@etas.com

Jul 1, 2008, 11:49:42 AM7/1/08
David Burleson wrote on Tue, 01 Jul 2008 13:09:47 +0100:

> I just upgraded from 1.4 to 1.5 and have trouble viewing the Log
> Messages. When I try i get prompted for Go offline, when then I select
> 'don't go offline', it asks again, select again and then gives the
> following error:

When TSVN prompts for going off-line,
this means that the there is either no
connection to the repository or some
other error occurred.

As for asking *twice*, I should find
some time next week to look into this.

> File not found: revision 89, path '/o'

This looks like a broken repository.
Please try showing the log with the
command line client to see whether your
repo is o.k.

If it is, try turning off the log cache
via TSVN settings.

> This happens with any log i try to view. If I select 'go offline' I get
> a blank log. I know logs are being written as another team member can
> view the logs via 1.4.

An empty log is what happens when TSVN
had not yet the chance to cache any
relevant log info for the respective path.

Please let me know whether (and if, how)
you could fix the issue.

-- Stefan^2.

David Burleson

Jul 2, 2008, 4:46:30 AM7/2/08
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Hi Stefan,

Im a bit of a newb when i comes to subversion, so thanks for helping me out. Don't know to much about administrating subversion, but figured the following command would display the log for me:

svnadmin list-dblogs /myrepo/location/

I get the following from that:

svn: Expected version '3' of repository; found version '5'

Could this be the problem?

David
--------------------------------------------------------------------- To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-un...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org For additional commands, e-mail: users...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org

David Burleson

Jul 7, 2008, 4:35:44 AM7/7/08
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Didn't get an answer from anyone regarding my problem. I was running 1.4 and now on 1.5 and cannot view logs in SVN. Trying to find out why. Someone on 1.4 doesn't have any problem viewing the logs I have entered.

David

Stefan Küng

Jul 7, 2008, 4:41:38 AM7/7/08
David Burleson wrote:

> David Burleson
> I.T. Manager
> www.magezinepublishing.com

[snip]

You've got to be kidding!
3 lines acceptable information,
30 lines with completely useless advertising

Word count is even worse: 5 to 253 ratio.

I'm very, very tempted to put you in my SPAM list, which I will do if
you send such a mail one more time.

Stefan

--
___
oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"

signature.asc

David Burleson

Jul 7, 2008, 4:56:34 AM7/7/08
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Sorry bout that, required company signature text. Ill try to remember to
remove it. So, back to the topic, any ideas whats going wrong here?

David

Stefan Küng wrote:
> David Burleson wrote:
>
>> David Burleson
>> I.T. Manager
>> www.magezinepublishing.com
> [snip]
>
> You've got to be kidding!
> 3 lines acceptable information,
> 30 lines with completely useless advertising
>
> Word count is even worse: 5 to 253 ratio.
>

> I'm very, very tempted to put you in my SPAM list, which I will do if
> you send such a mail one more time.
>
> Stefan

Stefan Küng

Jul 7, 2008, 5:00:02 AM7/7/08
On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 10:56, David Burleson <da...@ephotozine.com> wrote:
> Sorry bout that, required company signature text. Ill try to remember to
> remove it. So, back to the topic, any ideas whats going wrong here?

If you're using file:/// access, you must first upgrade your
repository manually as mentioned in the release notes.
Also, you could get into such problems if your file:// path to the
repository is pointing to an UNC share: mount the share to a drive
letter instead.

Stefan

--
___
oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"
(_,\/ \_/ \ TortoiseSVN
\ \_/_\_/> The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
/_/ \_\ http://tortoisesvn.net

Edwin

Jul 7, 2008, 6:00:03 AM7/7/08
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
I face the same problem (error when view log) too,but I use http://
not file://
I had large files in repository more than 20GB,It works fine in small
files respository..
I use viewvc to see the log,it works fast but tsvn can't.
need comments..thanks

On 7月7日, 下午5時00分, "Stefan Küng" <tortoise...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 10:56, David Burleson <da...@ephotozine.com> wrote:
> > Sorry bout that, required company signature text. Ill try to remember to
> > remove it. So, back to the topic, any ideas whats going wrong here?
>
> If you're using file:/// access, you must first upgrade your
> repository manually as mentioned in the release notes.
> Also, you could get into such problems if your file:// path to the
> repository is pointing to an UNC share: mount the share to a drive
> letter instead.
>
> Stefan
>
> --
> ___
> oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"
> (_,\/ \_/ \ TortoiseSVN
> \ \_/_\_/> The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
> /_/ \_\http://tortoisesvn.net

David Burleson

Jul 7, 2008, 7:55:58 AM7/7/08
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Hi Stefan,

Thanks for the help so far. Just checked, and our repositry is a file:/// so I suppose I will need to do these manual upgrades. Will this affect users on 1.4 still? Also, in reference to your share statement. The repos are being accessed on a network drive (ie: /computer/folder/) Is that going to be a problem? I have about 8 or so repos to sort out.

David

Stefan Küng wrote:
[...]

Simon Large

Jul 7, 2008, 8:40:30 AM7/7/08
2008/7/7 David Burleson <da...@ephotozine.com>:

> Hi Stefan,
>
> Thanks for the help so far. Just checked, and our repositry is a file:/// so
> I suppose I will need to do these manual upgrades. Will this affect users on
> 1.4 still? Also, in reference to your share statement. The repos are being
> accessed on a network drive (ie: /computer/folder/) Is that going to be a
> problem? I have about 8 or so repos to sort out.

It most certainly will be a problem. Do yourself a favour and set up a
server. svnserve is really easy to get going. We already have 3
reasons for not using file:/// access for multiple users and you just
supplied a 4th reason ;-)

> --
> David Burleson
> I.T. Manager
> www.magezinepublishing.com

<snip really long and annoying signature>

You forgot.

Simon

--
: ___
: oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"
: (_,\/ \_/ \ TortoiseSVN
: \ \_/_\_/> The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
: /_/ \_\ http://tortoisesvn.net

David Burleson

Jul 7, 2008, 8:57:49 AM7/7/08
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Hi Simon,

Well the network drive is on a server. I just ran 'svnserve --version' and get the following:

svnserve, version 1.1.4 (r13838)
   compiled Aug 21 2005, 20:56:55

Copyright (C) 2000-2004 CollabNet.
Subversion is open source software, see http://subversion.tigris.org/
This product includes software developed by CollabNet (http://www.Collab.Net/).

So the question, does that mean i'm using svnserve? Sorry for all the stupid questions, I wasn't the one who set up subversion, but am now the one who administrates it. (needs hands holding)

Perhaps im using things in a completly backwards fashion.

Thanks for the help so far.

David

Ps: sorry bout the sig. (again)

Simon Large wrote:
[...]

Stefan Küng

Jul 7, 2008, 11:46:40 AM7/7/08
David Burleson wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>
> Well the network drive is on a server. I just ran 'svnserve --version'
> and get the following:
>
> svnserve, version 1.1.4 (r13838)
> compiled Aug 21 2005, 20:56:55
>
> Copyright (C) 2000-2004 CollabNet.
> Subversion is open source software, see http://subversion.tigris.org/
> This product includes software developed by CollabNet
> (http://www.Collab.Net/).
>
> So the question, does that mean i'm using svnserve? Sorry for all the
> stupid questions, I wasn't the one who set up subversion, but am now the
> one who administrates it. (needs hands holding)

No, you're still using file:///

If you would be using svnserve, your urls would start with svn://
instead of file://

Please have a look at our docs on how to set up a server:
http://tortoisesvn.net/docs/release/TortoiseSVN_en/tsvn-serversetup.html

If you're server is running Windows, the easiest way to get a Subversion
server up and running might be the visualsvn server:
http://www.visualsvn.com/server/

Stefan

signature.asc

Simon Large

Jul 7, 2008, 12:59:47 PM7/7/08
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
2008/7/7 David Burleson <da...@ephotozine.com>:

> Hi Simon,
>
> Well the network drive is on a server. I just ran 'svnserve --version' and
> get the following:
>
> svnserve, version 1.1.4 (r13838)
> compiled Aug 21 2005, 20:56:55

That only tells you that svnserve is installed on the computer, not
that it is serving your repositories. I take it you ran that command
on teh server, not on your local PC.

Also 1.1.4 is very old now (nearly 3 years old). You really need to
get a newer version.

Simon

--
: ___
: oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"
: (_,\/ \_/ \ TortoiseSVN
: \ \_/_\_/> The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
: /_/ \_\ http://tortoisesvn.net

David Burleson

Jul 8, 2008, 6:59:30 AM7/8/08
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
great stuff,

sounds like I need to compeltly reinstall svn in this case. Got about 10 repos to deal with. Its all on a linux server.

David

Simon Large wrote:
2008/7/7 David Burleson <da...@ephotozine.com>:

Hi Simon,

Well the network drive is on a server. I just ran 'svnserve --version' and
get the following:

svnserve, version 1.1.4 (r13838)
   compiled Aug 21 2005, 20:56:55

That only tells you that svnserve is installed on the computer, not
that it is serving your repositories. I take it you ran that command
on teh server, not on your local PC.

Also 1.1.4 is very old now (nearly 3 years old). You really need to
get a newer version.

Simon

David Burleson

Jul 8, 2008, 7:49:52 AM7/8/08
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Call me thick, but is it possible to run svnserve on a linux (centos4) box and work on the repos from windows XP boxes? I take it the svnserver and subversion must be installed on linux box and tortoise must be on the win boxes?

David

Andy Levy

Jul 8, 2008, 7:53:43 AM7/8/08
On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 07:49, David Burleson <da...@ephotozine.com> wrote:
> Call me thick, but is it possible to run svnserve on a linux (centos4) box
> and work on the repos from windows XP boxes? I take it the svnserver and
> subversion must be installed on linux box and tortoise must be on the win
> boxes?

The client/server protocols are designed (much like most other
internet-enabled protocols) such that the client and server OSes
don't matter at all. As long as they both speak the same protocol, it
works fine.

Simon Large

Jul 8, 2008, 10:02:43 AM7/8/08
2008/7/8 David Burleson <da...@ephotozine.com>:

> Call me thick, but is it possible to run svnserve on a linux (centos4) box
> and work on the repos from windows XP boxes? I take it the svnserver and
> subversion must be installed on linux box and tortoise must be on the win
> boxes?

Correct you run svnserve on the linux box and all XP clients talk to
the server rather than accessing the repositories directly. You want
to prevent your clients accessing the repositories directly so you
should make sure that the directory holding the repositories is *not*
a network share, or you block access using linux permissions.

Once you have svnserve running and the file:// access is blocked then
everyone needs to use TSVN->relocate on their working copies to use
the new URLs. Assuming you setup svnserve such that its svnparentpath
is the directory containing all your repositories, your URLs will
change from something like
file://server/svnshare/repos1/path to svn://server/repos1/path

I suggest that you retain shared access while you test that svnserve
is working, to avoid getting pelted with rotten tomatoes by your
co-workers :-) From any XP client use the repobrowser to look at your
svn:// URL. If you can see the repository content then all should be
well.

Simon

--
: ___