Having a problem with TortoiseSVN: taking long time!

井戸里志

May 27, 2016, 9:15:07 AM5/27/16
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Hello,

I am currently having a problem with TortoiseSVN. When I try to run “Check for modifications”, for example, it would take extremely long time: from the state of “Please wait…” to finally display the file list. This occurs with some of my folders.

Some folders, though with the same repository and almost the same size and number of files, seem to take longer time for “Check for modifications” than others. Some folders (approximately 4GB) may take a few seconds, while others with the same sizes would take about 5 to 10 minutes to complete the processing. In case of a 100GB folder, it would take, say 2 hours.

Among the folders taking longer time, those of smaller sizes tend to take less (or no) time once "Check for modifications" is completed.
On the other hand, folders with the size of 10GB or larger would take just around the same long time even once “Check for modifications” is completed. Moreover, other folders that has been through Check for modifications and have no problem afterwards will be reverted back to the taking longer time state!

The same phenomena happen not only with “Check for modifications”, but also all the other processes relating to show the file list of “Working copy”, such as “Commit” and “Resolve”.
On the other hand, it would not take that long time with “Update” as long as the difference is small.

This phenomenon takes place in other repositories using different servers.
However, it does not happen in the other user environment who has checked out the same repository--and it wouldn’t take longer than 10 seconds to complete the processing.

I don’t know exactly what factors about folders would cause this phenomenon, but it seems to happen only with the repositories that has been checked out recently.

The version of TortoiseSVN is 1.9.3. The phenomenon happened in the version 1.7.9 so that I updated to the recent version but the problem was not fixed.

The setting of LogCaching is Power user default.
The setting Icon Overlays as shown below:
Status cache=Default
Include paths=limited to the minimum, a total of approximately 340,000 files.
Drive Types= all unticked.

For your information,
OS: Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1.
Installed memory:16GB. While running “Check for modifications” it still has 12GB of free space.
CPU: Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.4GHz, and about 5% is used while processing.
HDD: I use D drive. The size of D drive is 1.33TB, with available capacity of 137GB.
Speed of reading and writing contiguous data: 70-90 MB per second.
Speed of random access per 4KB: 0.4-0.9MB/ second.
The health status is all good (according to CrystakDiskInfo diagnostic report) .

Could you please advise me how to resolve the issue?

Thank you for your time and assistance.

Best regards,
Ido Satoshi

Stefan Küng

May 27, 2016, 4:48:58 PM5/27/16
On 27.05.2016 15:13, 井戸里志 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am currently having a problem with TortoiseSVN. When I try to run “Check for modifications”, for example, it would take extremely long time: from the state of “Please wait…” to finally display the file list. This occurs with some of my folders.
>
> Some folders, though with the same repository and almost the same size and number of files, seem to take longer time for “Check for modifications” than others. Some folders (approximately 4GB) may take a few seconds, while others with the same sizes would take about 5 to 10 minutes to complete the processing. In case of a 100GB folder, it would take, say 2 hours.
>
> Among the folders taking longer time, those of smaller sizes tend to take less (or no) time once "Check for modifications" is completed.
> On the other hand, folders with the size of 10GB or larger would take just around the same long time even once “Check for modifications” is completed. Moreover, other folders that has been through Check for modifications and have no problem afterwards will be reverted back to the taking longer time state!
>
> The same phenomena happen not only with “Check for modifications”, but also all the other processes relating to show the file list of “Working copy”, such as “Commit” and “Resolve”.
> On the other hand, it would not take that long time with “Update” as long as the difference is small.
>
> This phenomenon takes place in other repositories using different servers.
> However, it does not happen in the other user environment who has checked out the same repository--and it wouldn’t take longer than 10 seconds to complete the processing.
>
> I don’t know exactly what factors about folders would cause this phenomenon, but it seems to happen only with the repositories that has been checked out recently.
>
> The version of TortoiseSVN is 1.9.3. The phenomenon happened in the version 1.7.9 so that I updated to the recent version but the problem was not fixed.

Check if the files have their last-modified-time changed even though the
content has not.
Have a look at how svn detects modifications:
https://tortoisesvn.net/faq.html#detectmodification

if the file time has changed but the file content has not, svn has to
open that file and compare it byte-by-byte to find out whether the file
was modified or not. For many files and big files that can take a long time.

To fix the time stamps on the files, open the cleanup dialog and check
the box "fix time stamps", then click OK to run the cleanup.
After that it should be fast again.

> The setting of LogCaching is Power user default.

log caching isn't at play here.

> The setting Icon Overlays as shown below:
> Status cache=Default
> Include paths=limited to the minimum, a total of approximately 340,000 files.
> Drive Types= all unticked.

Also does not have an impact on the status dialogs.

> HDD: I use D drive. The size of D drive is 1.33TB, with available capacity of 137GB.
> Speed of reading and writing contiguous data: 70-90 MB per second.
> Speed of random access per 4KB: 0.4-0.9MB/ second.

Seems fast enough.
But there one other factor that has a huge impact on speed:
virus scanners
They scan the files TSVN opens to check if they're modified. So if they
scan every file first and block TSVN from opening it, TSVN has to wait
until the file can be read. For many files, that sums up.
Configure your scanner to not scan your working copies.

Stefan

--
___
oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=3173625

井戸里志

Jun 1, 2016, 6:15:48 AM6/1/16
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Thank you for your answer.

It doesn't seem that 'Date modified' (on Windows Explorer) of the local files changed even though the content has not.

However, 'Date modified' of the local files often differ from 'Date' of the repository files.
May this be the cause of this problem?

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=3173977

Stefan Hett

Jun 1, 2016, 6:39:30 AM6/1/16
On 6/1/2016 12:15 PM, 井戸里志 wrote:
> Thank you for your answer.
>
> It doesn't seem that 'Date modified' (on Windows Explorer) of the local files changed even though the content has not.
>
> However, 'Date modified' of the local files often differ from 'Date' of the repository files.
> May this be the cause of this problem?
Unlikely. That's the "normal"/expected behavior for SVN.
Did you rule out the virus scanner causing the delay, as Stefan suggested?

--
Regards,
Stefan Hett

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=3173979

井戸里志

Jun 1, 2016, 7:55:27 AM6/1/16
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
> Did you rule out the virus scanner causing the delay, as Stefan suggested?
I am using Microsoft Security Essentials.
I have added the checkout directory into 'Excluded files and locations'.

However, the problem has not been solved.
'Please wait...' are displayed for hours.

I suspected the hardware, but wonder that some files are no problem.

--
Regards,
Ido Satoshi

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=3173988

Stefan Hett

Jun 1, 2016, 8:37:11 AM6/1/16
On 6/1/2016 1:55 PM, 井戸里志 wrote:
>> Did you rule out the virus scanner causing the delay, as Stefan suggested?
> I am using Microsoft Security Essentials.
> I have added the checkout directory into 'Excluded files and locations'.
>
> However, the problem has not been solved.
> 'Please wait...' are displayed for hours.
>
> I suspected the hardware, but wonder that some files are no problem.

If you suspect the hardware, then maybe take a look at the Windows event
viewer to see whether there are any errors on record?

--
Regards,
Stefan Hett

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=3173991

井戸里志

Jun 1, 2016, 8:59:05 AM6/1/16
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
There are some errors on record.
I have attached the screenshot.

Do they have any relation to the problem?

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=3173997

井戸里志

Jun 1, 2016, 9:00:41 AM6/1/16
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Sorry, I have failed to attach the screenshot.

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=3173998
event.png

Stefan Hett

Jun 1, 2016, 9:22:24 AM6/1/16
On 6/1/2016 3:00 PM, 井戸里志 wrote:
> Sorry, I have failed to attach the screenshot.

You should narrow it a bit down. Aka: run the test (aka do the TSVN
operation which takes so long) and then match the timestamps of errors
in the event viewer against the time you ran the test. Then check out
each of the errors to determine whether it could have an impact on the
TSVN performance problem.

Just from the plain list, nobody could tell where the problem is.
Skimming through the entries and googling for cbfs5 suggests that this
might be somehow related (Callack File System shows up on google for
me), but even if so, I think this forum here would not be too suitable
to handle your hardware/driver/external tool issue (if you found out it
really is likely such a problem and not a TSVN/SVN issue).

--
Regards,
Stefan Hett

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=3173999

井戸里志

Jun 1, 2016, 9:45:04 AM6/1/16
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
> You should narrow it a bit down. Aka: run the test (aka do the TSVN
> operation which takes so long) and then match the timestamps of errors
> in the event viewer against the time you ran the test. Then check out
> each of the errors to determine whether it could have an impact on the
> TSVN performance problem.
I see.
Now I have run the test, but no new error occurs.

To be honest, I start to think that I must use new PC.
However, if there is any clue to the problem, I will be glad.

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=3174001