TortoiseProc.exe command line merge regularly asks for cleanup

Kieren

May 20, 2024, 8:25:59 PMMay 20
to TortoiseSVN
For some reason when using the command line merge for some of my repositories it regularly requires a cleanup, sometimes 2 or 3 times before I can get a merge through.

I've then noticed using explorer to do the merge with the same info will go through on the first try - even after it's right after trying with the command line trigger and it asking to be cleaned. So I can only assume it's something to do with this method.

ie, cmd command I'm using for merges:
TortoiseProc.exe /command:merge /path:"%to_path%" /fromurl:%merge_from% /revrange:"%svn_list%" 2

Which for some of my repos works fine, but then others (seems to be the ones with larger files) ask for cleanup almost every time unless done through the explorer right click -> merge method.

I'm aware of the svn environment variable and commands too, but for usability purposes within my team the UI is very helpful.

Cheers,
Kieren

Daniel Sahlberg

May 21, 2024, 3:17:57 AMMay 21
to TortoiseSVN
tisdag 21 maj 2024 kl. 02:25:59 UTC+2 skrev Kieren:
For some reason when using the command line merge for some of my repositories it regularly requires a cleanup, sometimes 2 or 3 times before I can get a merge through.

I've then noticed using explorer to do the merge with the same info will go through on the first try - even after it's right after trying with the command line trigger and it asking to be cleaned. So I can only assume it's something to do with this method.

ie, cmd command I'm using for merges:
TortoiseProc.exe /command:merge /path:"%to_path%" /fromurl:%merge_from% /revrange:"%svn_list%" 2

What is the "2" doing at the end of the line? I can't recall it being part of the standard command line.

Which for some of my repos works fine, but then others (seems to be the ones with larger files) ask for cleanup almost every time unless done through the explorer right click -> merge method.

I'm aware of the svn environment variable and commands too, but for usability purposes within my team the UI is very helpful.

Cheers,
Kieren

There are no obvious reasons why a merge using your command should require a cleanup if a merge from the context menu doesn't. If you right click -> merge and then (without completing or closing the merge dialog) check Task manager on the details tab you will find a TortoiseProc.exe process and if you add the Command line column you will see that it is quite similar. The fromurl and revrange only pre-populate the corresponding text boxes in the merge wizard and it shouldn't make a difference to the actual merge if those came from the command line or if you entered them manually.

Kind regards
Daniel

Kieren

May 23, 2024, 9:17:17 PMMay 23
to TortoiseSVN
Sorry that "2" was a copy paste fail, it does "/closeonend:2" , so that command all seems fine.

Checking things further I've found that I can reproduce getting the cleanup error repeatedly when doing cleanups even from explorer, but interestingly I can sometimes get the clean-up error then re-merge without doing a cleanup and it can go through. Is there anything particular you know of that can cause the clean-up error that can fix itself minutes later without me touching anything? Knowing this might help me try avoid it, if not find a way for it to be fixed.

Cheers.

Stefan

May 24, 2024, 10:08:43 AMMay 24
to TortoiseSVN
one sure way to get errors that require a cleanup is to have the working copies stored on a network share instead of a local drive.

Kieren

Jun 3, 2024, 5:22:18 PMJun 3
to TortoiseSVN

All on local drives. Same problem happening for others using the same checkouts. Some have found setting Status cache to None helps, or sometimes killing the TSVNCache.exe and re-trying.