Can't install tortoise SVN client on Windows Server 2008 R2

awaegel

Dec 23, 2011, 2:04:38 PM12/23/11
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
I'm trying to install just the Tortoise SVN client on my windows
server 2008 R2 and get the following error message:

Could not create key: \Software\Classes\Folder\shellex
\ColumnHandlers[3035-1349-7B7D-4FCC-81B4-1E394CA267EB}. Verify that
you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support
personnel.

...which seems to indicate a permissions problem in the registry, but
I'd rather avoid changing permissions in there out of fears of
unintended consequences. I'm using a local 'administrator' account,
and have disabled UAC (user access control) based on some other
postings, but that doesn't solve this registry problem. Any ideas? I
have the client installed on about a half dozen machines and use it
all the time, never had any problems before.

Thanks,
- Andrew

Stefan Küng

Dec 24, 2011, 10:59:03 AM12/24/11
On 23.12.2011 20:04, awaegel wrote:
> I'm trying to install just the Tortoise SVN client on my windows
> server 2008 R2 and get the following error message:
>
> Could not create key: \Software\Classes\Folder\shellex
> \ColumnHandlers[3035-1349-7B7D-4FCC-81B4-1E394CA267EB}. Verify that
> you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support
> personnel.
>
> ...which seems to indicate a permissions problem in the registry, but
> I'd rather avoid changing permissions in there out of fears of
> unintended consequences. I'm using a local 'administrator' account,
> and have disabled UAC (user access control) based on some other
> postings, but that doesn't solve this registry problem. Any ideas? I
> have the client installed on about a half dozen machines and use it
> all the time, never had any problems before.

* you already know what's wrong from the error message
* you also know what you have to do to fix it
* you don't want to do what's necessary to fix it
* but you still want help to fix it

Can you see what's wrong here?

Stefan

--
___
oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2899687

awaegel

Dec 24, 2011, 4:11:53 PM12/24/11
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Look, I'm happy to go hacking around in the registry, and apparently
I'll have to do that, but I believe I'm right to be concerned about
unintended consequences of doing so.

Also, this seems to be a pretty common use case here and was hoping to
get feedback from other who have fixed the problem before.

> ------------------------------------------------------http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMess...

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2899724

Stefan Pendl

Dec 24, 2011, 4:21:31 PM12/24/11
Am 24.12.2011 22:11, schrieb awaegel:
> Look, I'm happy to go hacking around in the registry, and apparently
> I'll have to do that, but I believe I'm right to be concerned about
> unintended consequences of doing so.
>
> Also, this seems to be a pretty common use case here and was hoping to
> get feedback from other who have fixed the problem before.

I would run the installation from within an Administrator command prompt
to make sure you have real administrative rights.

--
Stefan P.

Top-posting:
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2899725

awaegel

Dec 24, 2011, 6:25:56 PM12/24/11
to torto...@googlegroups.com, users
Here's what worked:

For each of these registry keys, set owner to administrators (right-click > permissions > advanced > owner), then grant full access permission to administrators:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder\Shellex
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\InternetShortcut\Shellex\ContextMenuHandlers
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Features
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\UpgradeCodes

I'd disabled UAC (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc709691%28WS.10%29.aspx) previously; don't know if that was necessary for this to work.

- A

awaegel

Dec 24, 2011, 5:41:51 PM12/24/11
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Okay, here's what worked:

For the following keys, set owner to administrators (right-click >
permissions > advanced > owner), then grant full access to
administrators group:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder\Shellex
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\InternetShortcut\Shellex
\ContextMenuHandlers
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Features
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\UpgradeCodes

I had disabled UAC previously (Administrative Tools > Local Security
Policy, then Local Policies > Security Options, disable "User Account
Control) - don't know if that was necessary to make this work. Also I
don't know the long-term impacts of these changes but everything seems
OK so far.

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2899727

awaegel

Dec 24, 2011, 5:47:15 PM12/24/11