"Update to revision" usage or bug?

James Melter

Jul 27, 2021, 3:45:52 PM7/27/21
to TortoiseSVN
So we have a large repository and I usually just checkout from the top and select only the trunk and branches I am interested in using in working directories.

Then I sometimes right click my branches folder and choose "Update to revision..." and click "Choose Items..." to add new branches to my working directory.

The issue I find is that when I check a new branch or folder from the Update to revision and Choose Items dialogs, it seems to just randomly select other folders to pull down from the repo which is EXTREMELY undesirable because it is often a LOT of files that I am not interested in.

No matter how carefully I try to use this feature, it randomly selects too many other folders.

Is this a bug or am I misusing the Update to Revision feature?

If I am misusing the feature is there a better way to select additional folders to add to my working directory?

Thanks!

Stefan

Jul 28, 2021, 11:44:17 AM7/28/21
to TortoiseSVN
It's hard to say what's going on from your description. If you had a specific case that always happens then maybe we could figure out what's wrong.
But a description of "just randomly select other folders" does not really help.

Do you have folders included with svn:externals ? If so, are those "randomly selected folders" maybe those externals?

Rafal S

Sep 14, 2021, 10:32:52 AM9/14/21
to TortoiseSVN
You can also do this via the repo-browser - then it's pretty explicit as you just RMB->Update... on a specific folder in the repo.

Also one thing worth considering is checking out below the "trunk" area and then switching between various branches - can save a ton of network traffic and directories selected on one branch are always there when you switch to a different one (good when merging to avoid missing target errors etc)