Desktop icons now covered with blue question marks - what broke?

cgilley

Jul 7, 2015, 6:19:14 AM7/7/15
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Okay, happy user of SVN and Tortoise SVN for many years, but this morning,
grrr, and I know it's on my end.

Earlier this morning, every single icon on my desktop had a blue question
mark on it. Yesterday, not so. So, I found the rogue .svn folder and moved
it to the recycle bin. Now just all of my folders have blue question marks.

What changed you ask?

Well, yesterday I took advantage of Intel's offer of a free Android
development kit integrated with Visual Studio. 2GB later plus Java plus
Java SDK. Did I nuke my installation of Tortoise SVN?

cg

Stefan Küng

Jul 7, 2015, 12:55:09 PM7/7/15
On 07.07.2015 11:54, cgilley wrote:
> Okay, happy user of SVN and Tortoise SVN for many years, but this morning,
> grrr, and I know it's on my end.
>
> Earlier this morning, every single icon on my desktop had a blue question
> mark on it. Yesterday, not so. So, I found the rogue .svn folder and moved
> it to the recycle bin. Now just all of my folders have blue question marks.
>
> What changed you ask?
>
> Well, yesterday I took advantage of Intel's offer of a free Android
> development kit integrated with Visual Studio. 2GB later plus Java plus
> Java SDK. Did I nuke my installation of Tortoise SVN?

Kill the tsvncache.exe process. Then refresh the desktop or do a restart.

Stefan

--
___
oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=3126205

cgilley

Jul 7, 2015, 4:11:31 PM7/7/15
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Ahhh, wow, that corrected the issue immediately. :) Thanks.

Why? Is this a known issue? I've rebooted several times, so would this not
have the same effect of killing the process?

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=3126238

Ryan Hathaway

Jul 7, 2015, 4:18:20 PM7/7/15
to cgi...@bravesw.com, us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
I'm not certain, but I believe you have to kill the process, as opposed to letting it shut itself down cleanly during shutdown, in order to force the rebuilding of the cache.

Thank you,

-Ryan

Ryan Hathaway
Programmer Analyst