How do I add the file to the ignore list without deleting it?

laredotornado

Feb 21, 2010, 5:32:33 PM2/21/10
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Hi,

I'm using the latest version of Tortoise SVN on Windows XP. I want to add a
file to my SVN ignore list, however, when I right click on the file and
select "Tortoise SVN", the only submenu option is "Delete and add to ignore
list," but I don't want to delete the file, I just want to add it to the
ignore list. How do I do this?

Right now, the file has a red "X" on it if that helps.

Thanks for yours, - Dave

Simon Large

Feb 21, 2010, 5:36:51 PM2/21/10
On 21 February 2010 22:32, laredotornado <laredo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using the latest version of Tortoise SVN on Windows XP.  I want to add a
> file to my SVN ignore list, however, when I right click on the file and
> select "Tortoise SVN", the only submenu option is "Delete and add to ignore
> list," but I don't want to delete the file, I just want to add it to the
> ignore list.  How do I do this?
>
> Right now, the file has a red "X" on it if that helps.

Delete and add to ignore list is exactly what you want. You want the
file to be removed from the subversion repository, kept locally and
added to the ignore list (you can only ignore items that are not
versioned. If you want the item not to be versioned then it has to be
deleted from the repository).

The fact that it has an X on means it is scheduled for deletion from
the repository. The fact that you can see it at all means that it has
not been deleted locally.

Simon

--
: ___
: oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2450116

Dave Schinkel

Mar 3, 2010, 1:50:51 PM3/3/10
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
I have to disagree Simon.

There are cases where yes, you do need to exclude but I too am annoyed that
when I righ-click a file and try to simply add it to the ignore list, half
the time it only gives me the option to Delete and Ignore.

What if I do NOT want to delete it but just ignore it. This is a valid
issue. You can't say that 100% of the time you want to delete it from your
local working copy! You loose potentially something vital that you do need
locally but Subversion does not need.

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2454558

Bob Archer

Mar 3, 2010, 1:55:43 PM3/3/10
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
> I have to disagree Simon.
>
> There are cases where yes, you do need to exclude but I too am annoyed
> that
> when I righ-click a file and try to simply add it to the ignore list, half
> the time it only gives me the option to Delete and Ignore.
>
> What if I do NOT want to delete it but just ignore it.

You can't ignore a versioned file. It just isn't possible with svn.

> This is a valid
> issue. You can't say that 100% of the time you want to delete it from
> your
> local working copy! You loose potentially something vital that you do
> need
> locally but Subversion does not need.

If you are ok with deleting it from the repository so you can ignore it, you should copy it out of the WC, do the delete and ignore then copy it back into your WC.

If you want to ignore it but is must be in svn then add it to the ignore-on-commit change list.

BOb

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2454563

Dave Schinkel

Mar 3, 2010, 4:25:39 PM3/3/10
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
I get ya Bob. But why not have that ignore & delete just delete it from the
repo instead of local. Maybe change the functionality and rename the
function to "Igore & Remove from Repo" or something

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2454619

Bob Archer

Mar 3, 2010, 5:01:33 PM3/3/10
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Actually, I've never used it and just tested it. It did exactly what you want it to do. It added an svn:ignore to the folder properties. It deleted the file from the repository. After I committed the new property and the delete the file was still in my working copy.

So, I'm not sure what more you want it to do?

BOb

> unsub...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org].

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2454631

Felix Saphir

Mar 3, 2010, 5:13:04 PM3/3/10
Dave Schinkel schrieb:

> I have to disagree Simon.
>
> There are cases where yes, you do need to exclude but I too am annoyed that
> when I righ-click a file and try to simply add it to the ignore list, half
> the time it only gives me the option to Delete and Ignore.
>
> What if I do NOT want to delete it but just ignore it. This is a valid
> issue. You can't say that 100% of the time you want to delete it from your
> local working copy! You loose potentially something vital that you do need
> locally but Subversion does not need.

There is a menu item "Delete (keep local)" in the extended context menu.
You'd still have to add the files to the ignore list afterwards ...

Felix

P.S. please don't top-post

--
/^\ | ASCII Ribbon Campaign
\ / | - no HTML in email and news

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2454633

Bob Archer

Mar 3, 2010, 5:23:12 PM3/3/10
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
> Dave Schinkel schrieb:
> > I have to disagree Simon.
> >
> > There are cases where yes, you do need to exclude but I too am annoyed
> that
> > when I righ-click a file and try to simply add it to the ignore list,
> half
> > the time it only gives me the option to Delete and Ignore.
> >
> > What if I do NOT want to delete it but just ignore it. This is a valid
> > issue. You can't say that 100% of the time you want to delete it from
> your
> > local working copy! You loose potentially something vital that you do
> need
> > locally but Subversion does not need.
>
> There is a menu item "Delete (keep local)" in the extended context menu.
> You'd still have to add the files to the ignore list afterwards ...
>
> Felix

Can someone verify that when you use "Delete and add to Ignore list" it DOES keep the file locally. That is what my testing of this feature showed. Perhaps people are just assuming that it deletes the file locally too?

BOb

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2454639

Davison, Steve D

Mar 3, 2010, 5:23:17 PM3/3/10
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
From: Felix Saphir [mailto:felix....@kantarmedia.de]

> There is a menu item "Delete (keep local)" in the
> extended context menu. You'd still have to add the
> files to the ignore list afterwards ...
>
> Felix

I found that feature in the 1.6.7 manual, but when
I bring up the menu with shift pressed, I get the
same old menu--No Delete (keep local).

// Steve

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2454640

Bob Archer

Mar 3, 2010, 5:25:37 PM3/3/10
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
> From: Felix Saphir [mailto:felix....@kantarmedia.de]
> >
> > There is a menu item "Delete (keep local)" in the
> > extended context menu. You'd still have to add the
> > files to the ignore list afterwards ...
> >
> > Felix
>
> I found that feature in the 1.6.7 manual, but when
> I bring up the menu with shift pressed, I get the
> same old menu--No Delete (keep local).
>
> // Steve

The shift right-click only works if you right click in the right pane file list box... it doesn't work in the folder tree.

BOb

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2454641

Davison, Steve D

Mar 3, 2010, 5:27:51 PM3/3/10
boB wrote:
> The shift right-click only works if you right click in the right pane file > list box... it doesn't work in the folder tree.
>
> BOb

We are talking about the windows context menu in
explorer aren't we? I don't have the folder trees
showing, so I think I'm doing it as you said.
//Steve

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2454643

Bob Archer

Mar 3, 2010, 5:31:51 PM3/3/10
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
> boB wrote:
> > The shift right-click only works if you right click in the right pane
> file > list box... it doesn't work in the folder tree.
> >
> > BOb
>
> We are talking about the windows context menu in
> explorer aren't we? I don't have the folder trees
> showing, so I think I'm doing it as you said.
> //Steve

Yes, so I'm not sure why you aren't seeing it. You are holding the shift down before you right click on the file name... then let it go? Then when you move to the TSVN menu you should see the delete (keep local) option in addition to the Delete option.

BOb

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2454644

Davison, Steve D

Mar 3, 2010, 5:36:17 PM3/3/10
boB wrote:
> Yes, so I'm not sure why you aren't seeing it. You
> are holding the shift down before you right click
> on the file name... then let it go? Then when you
> move to the TSVN menu you should see the delete
> (keep local) option in addition to the Delete option.
>
> Bob

Yup, precisely what I'm saying... I did all that and
no luck. No need to worry, tho. This is Windows,
and I have not rebooted within the hour. 8p

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2454646

Felix Saphir

Mar 3, 2010, 5:44:03 PM3/3/10
Bob Archer schrieb:

>> Dave Schinkel schrieb:
>>> I have to disagree Simon.
>>>
>>> There are cases where yes, you do need to exclude but I too am
>>> annoyed that
>>> when I righ-click a file and try to simply add it to the ignore
>>> list, half
>>> the time it only gives me the option to Delete and Ignore.
>>>
>>> What if I do NOT want to delete it but just ignore it. This is a
>>> valid issue. You can't say that 100% of the time you want to
>>> delete it from your
>>> local working copy! You loose potentially something vital that
>>> you do need
>>> locally but Subversion does not need.
>> There is a menu item "Delete (keep local)" in the extended context
>> menu. You'd still have to add the files to the ignore list
>> afterwards ...
>
> Can someone verify that when you use "Delete and add to Ignore list"
> it DOES keep the file locally. That is what my testing of this
> feature showed. Perhaps people are just assuming that it deletes the
> file locally too?

I can (just tried again), that's why I don't understand the issue Dave
has ...

Felix

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2454651

Bob Archer

Mar 3, 2010, 5:45:25 PM3/3/10
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
> boB wrote:
> > Yes, so I'm not sure why you aren't seeing it. You
> > are holding the shift down before you right click
> > on the file name... then let it go? Then when you
> > move to the TSVN menu you should see the delete
> > (keep local) option in addition to the Delete option.
> >
> > Bob
>
> Yup, precisely what I'm saying... I did all that and
> no luck. No need to worry, tho. This is Windows,
> and I have not rebooted within the hour. 8p

Nice. BTW: I'm running Win7 64-Bit and it have been up for 11:23:12:29.

iirc the last reboot was to install the most recent patches.

BOb

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2454652

Davison, Steve D

Mar 3, 2010, 6:20:06 PM3/3/10
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
> > Can someone verify that when you use "Delete and add to Ignore list"
> > it DOES keep the file locally. That is what my testing of this
> > feature showed. Perhaps people are just assuming that it deletes the
> > file locally too?
>
> I can (just tried again), that's why I don't understand
> the issue Dave has ...
>
> Felix

Well, if I were looking for a way to undo an accidental
commit (which must be the purpose of such a specialized
feature), I would not be certain that it does precisely
what I wanted.

Unless I'm wrong... Shouldn't it just be named after its
purpose? "Reverse accidental commit...", which would
BRING UP A DIALOG where you can choose the optional
"add to ignore list" checkbox. Maybe a checkbox for
"delete local copy" too. Why not? At least that
communicates to the user that the file is safe if
if there's no check-mark.

It does add one step, BUT I think that's a Good Thing.
IMO, anything that is going to operate directly on the
repo should have a some form of confirmation. Look at
the "Add" command, for example. It's doing perhaps the
MOST HARMLESS thing you can do with TSVN (aside from
the strictly read-only stuff), because all it's going
to do is just SCHEDULE the add / commit. You're still
going to get another chance to catch a mistake when
you commit the changes.

A bit of a b r o a d chasm for one tool, don't you
think?

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2454660

Bob Archer

Mar 3, 2010, 6:31:40 PM3/3/10
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
> > > Can someone verify that when you use "Delete and add to Ignore list"
> > > it DOES keep the file locally. That is what my testing of this
> > > feature showed. Perhaps people are just assuming that it deletes the
> > > file locally too?
> >
> > I can (just tried again), that's why I don't understand
> > the issue Dave has ...
> >
> > Felix
>
> Well, if I were looking for a way to undo an accidental
> commit (which must be the purpose of such a specialized
> feature), I would not be certain that it does precisely
> what I wanted.

Well, if that is what you are looking to do, you are barking up the wrong tree. You should be using "Undo changes from the revision" in the Log's shortcut menu.

> Unless I'm wrong... Shouldn't it just be named after its
> purpose? "Reverse accidental commit...", which would

So, apparently you want to do something more specific or different than what you asked about.

BOb

> BRING UP A DIALOG where you can choose the optional
> "add to ignore list" checkbox. Maybe a checkbox for
> "delete local copy" too. Why not? At least that
> communicates to the user that the file is safe if
> if there's no check-mark.
>
> It does add one step, BUT I think that's a Good Thing.
> IMO, anything that is going to operate directly on the
> repo should have a some form of confirmation. Look at
> the "Add" command, for example. It's doing perhaps the
> MOST HARMLESS thing you can do with TSVN (aside from
> the strictly read-only stuff), because all it's going
> to do is just SCHEDULE the add / commit. You're still
> going to get another chance to catch a mistake when
> you commit the changes.
>
> A bit of a b r o a d chasm for one tool, don't you
> think?

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2454670

Dave Schinkel

Mar 3, 2010, 7:41:32 PM3/3/10
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Bob, when I have used that ingore/delete it does delete the local copy also.

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2454685

Davison, Steve D

Mar 3, 2010, 7:42:31 PM3/3/10
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
> > ... if I were looking for a way to undo an accidental

> > commit (which must be the purpose of such a specialized
> > feature), I would not be certain that it [Delete and
> > add to ignore] does precisely what I wanted.

> Well, if that is what you are looking to do, you are
> barking up the wrong tree. You should be using "Undo
> changes from the revision" in the Log's shortcut menu.

... which means I'd have to open the log, find where it
was added, and commit the (merged) code. I would still
have to delete the local copy myself (optionally) and
the file is still not ignored... So, if I wanted to
reverse an accidental Add (perhaps from many moons ago)
then what you suggest is definitely the wrong tree.

AFAICT, "Delete and add to ignore list" is a sequence of
"Delete (keep local)", and "Add to ignore list <without
forcing me to commit first>". I Don't know what it's
ACTUALLY supposed to do; it doesn't look to be documented.

> > Unless I'm wrong... Shouldn't it just be named after
> > its purpose? "Reverse accidental commit..."

> So, apparently you want to do something more specific
> or different than what you asked about.

Nope. Just commenting on the discussion; I didn't start
the thread.

BOb

> BRING UP A DIALOG where you can choose the optional
> "add to ignore list" checkbox. Maybe a checkbox for
> "delete local copy" too. Why not? At least that
> communicates to the user that the file is safe if
> if there's no check-mark.
>
> It does add one step, BUT I think that's a Good Thing.
> IMO, anything that is going to operate directly on the
> repo should have a some form of confirmation. Look at
> the "Add" command, for example. It's doing perhaps the
> MOST HARMLESS thing you can do with TSVN (aside from
> the strictly read-only stuff), because all it's going
> to do is just SCHEDULE the add / commit. You're still
> going to get another chance to catch a mistake when
> you commit the changes.
>
> A bit of a b r o a d chasm for one tool, don't you
> think?

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2454686

Simon Large

Mar 4, 2010, 8:47:01 AM3/4/10
On 3 March 2010 18:50, Dave Schinkel <dsch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have to disagree Simon.
>
> There are cases where yes, you do need to exclude but I too am annoyed that
> when I righ-click a file and try to simply add it to the ignore list, half
> the time it only gives me the option to Delete and Ignore.

You cannot ignore a versioned item. By definition if it is versioned
it is not ignored.

> What if I do NOT want to delete it but just ignore it.  This is a valid
> issue.  You can't say that 100% of the time you want to delete it from your
> local working copy!  You loose potentially something vital that you do need
> locally but Subversion does not need.

Delete and add to ignore does exactly that. It marks the file for
deletion from the repository but keeps the local version. And it marks
the parent directory to ignore that file in future.

I think the name is causing the confusion here. Perhaps "Unversion and
add to ignore list" would be clearer.

Simon

--
: ___
: oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"
: (_,\/ \_/ \ TortoiseSVN
: \ \_/_\_/> The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
: /_/ \_\ http://tortoisesvn.net

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2454986

Simon Large

Mar 4, 2010, 8:50:38 AM3/4/10
On 3 March 2010 22:36, Davison, Steve D <steve.d...@intel.com> wrote:
> boB wrote:
>> Yes, so I'm not sure why you aren't seeing it. You
>> are holding the shift down before you right click
>> on the file name... then let it go? Then when you
>> move to the TSVN menu you should see the delete
>> (keep local) option in addition to the Delete option.
>>
>> Bob
>
> Yup, precisely what I'm saying... I did all that and
> no luck.  No need to worry, tho.  This is Windows,
> and I have not rebooted within the hour.  8p

This is the standard Windows Explorer, not Total Commander, PowerDesk
or another alternative browser?

Which OS are you using?

Simon

--
: ___
: oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"
: (_,\/ \_/ \ TortoiseSVN
: \ \_/_\_/> The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
: /_/ \_\ http://tortoisesvn.net

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2454989

Simon Large

Mar 4, 2010, 9:07:33 AM3/4/10
On 3 March 2010 23:20, Davison, Steve D <steve.d...@intel.com> wrote:
>> > Can someone verify that when you use "Delete and add to Ignore list"
>> > it DOES keep the file locally. That is what my testing of this
>> > feature showed. Perhaps people are just assuming that it deletes the
>> > file locally too?
>>
>> I can (just tried again), that's why I don't understand
>> the issue Dave has ...
>>
>> Felix
>
> Well, if I were looking for a way to undo an accidental
> commit (which must be the purpose of such a specialized
> feature), I would not be certain that it does precisely
> what I wanted.
> Unless I'm wrong... Shouldn't it just be named after its
> purpose?  "Reverse accidental commit...",

The commands are generally named after what they do, not on why you
might use them. Yes it will reverse an accidental commit, but it also
allows you to change your mind about whether something should be
committed rather than implying "admit it, you got that wrong".

But I think the name is wrong. "Unversion and add to ignore list" is a
better indicator that the local copy is kept.

> which would
> BRING UP A DIALOG where you can choose the optional
> "add to ignore list" checkbox.  Maybe a checkbox for
> "delete local copy" too.  Why not?  At least that
> communicates to the user that the file is safe if
> if there's no check-mark.

That's a possibility. IIRC it was considered at the time but rejected.
I don't remember why.

> It does add one step, BUT I think that's a Good Thing.
> IMO, anything that is going to operate directly on the
> repo should have a some form of confirmation.  Look at

It doesn't act directly on the repo. You still have to commit the deletion.

> the "Add" command, for example.  It's doing perhaps the
> MOST HARMLESS thing you can do with TSVN (aside from
> the strictly read-only stuff), because all it's going
> to do is just SCHEDULE the add / commit. You're still
> going to get another chance to catch a mistake when
> you commit the changes.
>
> A bit of a  b r  o  a d  chasm for one tool, don't you
> think?

I don't remember why Add has a progress dialog. My system is set to
auto-dismiss that one for the reasons you state.

Simon

--
: ___
: oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"
: (_,\/ \_/ \ TortoiseSVN
: \ \_/_\_/> The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
: /_/ \_\ http://tortoisesvn.net

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2454994

Simon Large

Mar 4, 2010, 9:10:47 AM3/4/10
On 4 March 2010 00:42, Davison, Steve D <steve.d...@intel.com> wrote:
>> >  ... if I were looking for a way to undo an accidental
>> > commit (which must be the purpose of such a specialized
>> > feature), I would not be certain that it [Delete and
>> > add to ignore] does precisely what I wanted.
>>
>> Well, if that is what you are looking to do, you are
>> barking up the wrong tree. You should be using "Undo
>> changes from the revision" in the Log's shortcut menu.
>
> ... which means I'd have to open the log, find where it
> was added, and commit the (merged) code.  I would still
> have to delete the local copy myself (optionally) and
> the file is still not ignored...  So, if I wanted to
> reverse an accidental Add (perhaps from many moons ago)
> then what you suggest is definitely the wrong tree.
>
> AFAICT, "Delete and add to ignore list" is a sequence of
> "Delete (keep local)", and "Add to ignore list <without
> forcing me to commit first>".  I Don't know what it's
> ACTUALLY supposed to do; it doesn't look to be documented.

It is that sequence, but you do have to commit. If you are not
prompted for a log message then there is no commit.

You're right, this one has slipped through the documentation net. I'll
get onto that later.

Simon

--
: ___
: oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"
: (_,\/ \_/ \ TortoiseSVN
: \ \_/_\_/> The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
: /_/ \_\ http://tortoisesvn.net

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2454996

Davison, Steve D

Mar 4, 2010, 12:12:07 PM3/4/10
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
>On 3 March 2010 22:36, Davison, Steve D <steve.d...@intel.com> wrote:
>> boB wrote:
>>> Yes, so I'm not sure why you aren't seeing it. You
>>> are holding the shift down before you right click
>>> on the file name... then let it go? Then when you
>>> move to the TSVN menu you should see the delete
>>> (keep local) option in addition to the Delete option.
>>>
>>> Bob
>>
>> Yup, precisely what I'm saying... I did all that and
>> no luck. No need to worry, tho. This is Windows,
>> and I have not rebooted within the hour. 8p
>
>This is the standard Windows Explorer, not Total Commander, PowerDesk
>or another alternative browser?
>
>Which OS are you using?
>
>Simon

Oh, I figured out what was going on there. Something
about Mouse Keys was preventing the Shift key from
registering when I right-clicked with the real mouse.
Thanks.

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2455062

Simon Large

Mar 4, 2010, 4:59:09 PM3/4/10
On 4 March 2010 17:12, Davison, Steve D <steve.d...@intel.com> wrote:

>>> Yup, precisely what I'm saying... I did all that and
>>> no luck.  No need to worry, tho.  This is Windows,
>>> and I have not rebooted within the hour.  8p
>>
>>This is the standard Windows Explorer, not Total Commander, PowerDesk
>>or another alternative browser?
>>
>>Which OS are you using?
>
> Oh, I figured out what was going on there.  Something
> about Mouse Keys was preventing the Shift key from
> registering when I right-clicked with the real mouse.

Thanks for keeping us informed. Docs (on trunk) have now been updated
to explain the Delete and add to ignore list menu entry in r18808.

Simon

--
: ___
: oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"
: (_,\/ \_/ \ TortoiseSVN
: \ \_/_\_/> The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
: /_/ \_\ http://tortoisesvn.net

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2455209

Davison, Steve D

Mar 4, 2010, 5:10:16 PM3/4/10
On Thursday, March 04 Simon Large wrote:
>Thanks for keeping us informed. Docs (on trunk) have now been updated
>to explain the Delete and add to ignore list menu entry in r18808.
>
>Simon

Hey, I really appreciate your eagerness to smooth that out,
and all of your efforts.
Thanks!

// Steve

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2455213

Truck

Mar 12, 2010, 3:55:06 AM3/12/10
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
We just had the following issue here:
I had to "delete and add to ignore list" a folder that had (unwisely)
been committed into the repository in an earlier project state. After
I did this MY working copy kept working as I desired - as the files
were still there locally.
BUT: After my colleagues updated it actually DELETED the folder with
all its content from the working copies leaving the project in a
faulty state.

Isn't it possible somehow to remove/ignore folders from the repo
without deleting them in any of the local copies?

Best regards,
Truck

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2458554

Simon Large

Mar 12, 2010, 7:32:04 AM3/12/10
On 12 March 2010 08:55, Truck <loka...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> We just had the following issue here:
> I had to "delete and add to ignore list" a folder that had (unwisely)
> been committed into the repository in an earlier project state. After
> I did this MY working copy kept working as I desired - as the files
> were still there locally.
> BUT: After my colleagues updated it actually DELETED the folder with
> all its content from the working copies leaving the project in a
> faulty state.
>
> Isn't it possible somehow to remove/ignore folders from the repo
> without deleting them in any of the local copies?

No. You would have to ask for such a feature on the subversion list.
Naturally if there are local changes the files will not just be
deleted, but in that case you would get conflicts, and I guess you
just want the files/folders to stay where they are but not be
versioned.

You can get them back again from the repo browser by going to a
version where they existed and then doing a Save As into your WC.

Simon

--
: ___

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2458662