Installing 32-bit TortoiseSVN on 64-bit Windows

Scooby

Nov 17, 2011, 9:16:24 AM11/17/11
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
This used to be possible as I installed both the 32 and 64-bit version to make life easier.

Now if I try to install the latest 32-bit version it refuses, saying I'm running a 64-bit OS, and if I try to install the 64-bit version it complains I already have the 32-bit version installed.

Can I bypass this check somehow? I run some other 32-bit software that will not see the 64-bit version of Tortoise (but works fine if I have the 32-bit version of tortoise installed) and Windows explorer requires the 64-bit version.

Andy Levy

Nov 17, 2011, 9:30:20 AM11/17/11
On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 09:16, Scooby <sco...@c2-dev.co.uk> wrote:
> This used to be possible as I installed both the 32 and 64-bit version to make life easier.
>
> Now if I try to install the latest 32-bit version it refuses, saying I'm running a 64-bit OS, and if I try to install the 64-bit version it complains I already have the 32-bit version installed.
>
> Can I bypass this check somehow? I run some other 32-bit software that will not see the 64-bit version of Tortoise (but works fine if I have the 32-bit version of tortoise installed) and Windows explorer requires the 64-bit version.

I think the 64-bit installer includes the 32-bit version as well (as of 1.7).

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2879255

Lorenz

Nov 17, 2011, 9:32:44 AM11/17/11
Scooby wrote:
>This used to be possible as I installed both the 32 and 64-bit version to make life easier.

the 64 bit installer contains the 32 bit version too
--

Lorenz

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2879256

Thorsten Born

Dec 13, 2011, 7:17:26 AM12/13/11
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org, Lorenz
Many tortoise users need the 32bit version for 32-bit applications like PHPed.
The 32bit-part of the 64bit installation seems not working (in my case in PHPed).
Is there a way to test it in a little 32-bit application.

Thorsten

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2892917

Simon Large

Dec 13, 2011, 7:37:12 AM12/13/11
On 13 December 2011 12:17, Thorsten Born <t.b...@it-scriptorium.de> wrote:
> Many tortoise users need the 32bit version for 32-bit applications like PHPed.
> The 32bit-part of the 64bit installation seems not working (in my case in PHPed).
> Is there a way to test it in a little 32-bit application.

What exactly is not working? Have you tried the 32-bit version of
Windows Explorer to see if it works there?

Simon

--
:       ___
:  oo  // \\      "De Chelonian Mobile"

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2892921

Thorsten B.

Dec 13, 2011, 8:20:22 AM12/13/11
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Hello Simon!

Thanks for your quick response!

> What exactly is not working?

There should be the tortoise explorer menu and this isn't there.

> Have you tried the 32-bit version of
> Windows Explorer to see if it works there?

I started now via C:\Windows\SysWOW64\explorer.exe /separate, but with perfmon I checked out that this is a 64bit version.
In this explorer (64bit?) the tortoise menu is visible and everything looks good.

My system is win7 64bit.

Thorsten

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2892933

Thorsten B.

Dec 13, 2011, 8:26:15 AM12/13/11
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Another trial:
Within the 32bit version of explorer++ the tortoise menu isn't there.

My tortoise version:
TortoiseSVN 1.7.2, Build 22327 - 64 Bit , 2011/11/29 22:43:53
Subversion 1.7.2,
apr 1.4.5
apr-utils 1.3.12
neon 0.29.6
OpenSSL 1.0.0e 6 Sep 2011
zlib 1.2.5

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2892934

Kurt Pruenner

Dec 13, 2011, 10:26:44 AM12/13/11
On 13.12.2011 14:26, Thorsten B. wrote:
> Another trial:
> Within the 32bit version of explorer++ the tortoise menu isn't there.
>
> My tortoise version:
> TortoiseSVN 1.7.2, Build 22327 - 64 Bit , 2011/11/29 22:43:53

Do you have the TSVN option "Show overlays and context menu only in
explorer" checked under "Overlays"? Because that will prevent the
context menu from showing in anything but the original explorer.exe...

--
Kurt Bernhard Pruenner --- Haendelstrasse 17 --- 4020 Linz --- Austria
.......It might be written "Mindfuck", but it's spelt "L-A-I-N".......

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2892954

Thorsten B.

Dec 13, 2011, 11:19:26 AM12/13/11
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
That's it!

Thanks a lot, Kurt.

In the meantime I've installed tortoise complete new, but I guess, this hint is the solution. Now the context menu and the icons are there (in PHPed and explorer++)

Pfiat' Di, ;-)
Thorsten

P.S.: I hope this post is good enough for google & co. that all seekers find the solution (helpfully)
some more (and repeated) keywords: solved, win7, PHPed, tortoise, subversion, icons, context menu

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2892969

Andre.Ziegler

Dec 13, 2011, 12:03:40 PM12/13/11
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Btw, can you merge both programs together? TGit now only needs 1
installed app for 64Bit which includes 1 Cache.exe and 2 extensions
(32Bit and 64Bit). This is better compared to installing 2 versions.

On 13 Dez., 13:37, Simon Large <simon.tortoise...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 13 December 2011 12:17, Thorsten Born <t.b...@it-scriptorium.de> wrote:
>
> > Many tortoise users need the 32bit version for 32-bit applications like PHPed.
> > The 32bit-part of the 64bit installation seems not working (in my case in PHPed).
> > Is there a way to test it in a little 32-bit application.
>
> What exactly is not working? Have you tried the 32-bit version of
> Windows Explorer to see if it works there?
>
> Simon
>
> --
> :       ___
> :  oo  // \\      "De Chelonian Mobile"
> : (_,\/ \_/ \     TortoiseSVN
> :   \ \_/_\_/>    The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
> :   /_/   \_\    http://tortoisesvn.net
>

> ------------------------------------------------------http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMess...

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2892982

Felix Saphir

Dec 13, 2011, 12:08:02 PM12/13/11
Am 13.12.2011 18:03, schrieb Andre.Ziegler:
> Btw, can you merge both programs together? TGit now only needs 1
> installed app for 64Bit which includes 1 Cache.exe and 2 extensions
> (32Bit and 64Bit). This is better compared to installing 2 versions.
>
> On 13 Dez., 13:37, Simon Large<simon.tortoise...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 13 December 2011 12:17, Thorsten Born<t.b...@it-scriptorium.de> wrote:
>>
>>> Many tortoise users need the 32bit version for 32-bit applications like PHPed.
>>> The 32bit-part of the 64bit installation seems not working (in my case in PHPed).
>>> Is there a way to test it in a little 32-bit application.
>>
>> What exactly is not working? Have you tried the 32-bit version of
>> Windows Explorer to see if it works there?

According to the release notes, the 64 bit version of the installer
includes "the required 32 bit parts. There's no need to install the 32
bit version [...] on x64 OS."

Felix

P.S. Please don't top-post

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2892984

Andre.Ziegler

Dec 13, 2011, 1:36:46 PM12/13/11
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
is this for Version 1.7? Currently I'm still using 1.6.

> ------------------------------------------------------http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMess...

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2892991

Simon Large

Dec 14, 2011, 5:02:28 AM12/14/11
On 13 December 2011 18:36, Andre.Ziegler <MagicAn...@live.com> wrote:
> is this for Version 1.7? Currently I'm still using 1.6.

1.7 onwards, not 1.6.

Simon

> On 13 Dez., 18:08, Felix Saphir <felix.sap...@kantarmedia.com> wrote:
>> Am 13.12.2011 18:03, schrieb Andre.Ziegler:
>>
>> > Btw, can you merge both programs together? TGit now only needs 1
>> > installed app for 64Bit which includes 1 Cache.exe and 2 extensions
>> > (32Bit and 64Bit). This is better compared to installing 2 versions.

>> According to the release notes, the 64 bit version of the installer
>> includes "the required 32 bit parts. There's no need to install the 32
>> bit version [...] on x64 OS."
>>
>> Felix

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2893183

Andre.Ziegler

Dec 14, 2011, 7:06:17 AM12/14/11
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
thanks! Ok, I'll update to 1.7 after you release the 1.7.3 this
weekend :)

On 14 Dez., 11:02, Simon Large <simon.tortoise...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 13 December 2011 18:36, Andre.Ziegler <MagicAndre1...@live.com> wrote:
>
> > is this for Version 1.7? Currently I'm still using 1.6.
>
> 1.7 onwards, not 1.6.
>
> Simon

> >> According to the release notes, the 64 bit version of the installer
> >> includes "the required 32 bit parts. There's no need to install the 32
> >> bit version [...] on x64 OS."
>
> >> Felix
>

> ------------------------------------------------------http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMess...

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2893219

Jeff Payne

Dec 15, 2011, 3:59:49 PM12/15/11
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Any suggestions on getting my bug tracker plug-in working? Works fine on Win XP with 32 bit Tortoise, but on Vista I get "There are no issue tracker providers" under "Issue Tracker Integration"

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2893793

Stefan Küng

Dec 15, 2011, 4:03:53 PM12/15/11
On 15.12.2011 21:59, Jeff Payne wrote:
> Any suggestions on getting my bug tracker plug-in working? Works fine on Win XP with 32 bit Tortoise, but on Vista I get "There are no issue tracker providers" under "Issue Tracker Integration"

Simple: you have to compile an x64 version of your plugin.
x64 processes can not load 32-bit dlls.

Stefan

--
___
oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"
(_,\/ \_/ \ TortoiseSVN
\ \_/_\_/> The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
/_/ \_\ http://tortoisesvn.net

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2893809

Jeff Payne

Dec 15, 2011, 4:38:59 PM12/15/11
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
> Simple: you have to compile an x64 version of your plugin.
> x64 processes can not load 32-bit dlls.

It isn't my plug-in, it is a vendor plug-in, so re-compiling it is not an option. I would love them to release a 64 bit version, but I'm not holding my breath.

So, your comment begs the question that started this thread: how can we run 32bit Tortoise on 64 bit Windows, since... (quoting Felix)

> According to the release notes, the 64 bit version of the installer
> includes "the required 32 bit parts. There's no need to install the 32
> bit version [...] on x64 OS."

...isn't true.

Jeff

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2893821

Dave Huang

Dec 15, 2011, 7:56:11 PM12/15/11
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org, Jeff Payne
On 12/15/2011 3:38 PM, Jeff Payne wrote:
> It isn't my plug-in, it is a vendor plug-in, so re-compiling it is
> not an option. I would love them to release a 64 bit version, but
> I'm not holding my breath.

Which one is it? At least all of the issue tracker plugins listed on
http://tortoisesvn.net/issuetrackerplugins.html are open source, except
for VurtleOne--and that one is available as both 32 and 64-bit.

--
Name: Dave Huang | Mammal, mammal / their names are called /
INet: kh...@azeotrope.org | they raise a paw / the bat, the cat /

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2893858

Jeff Payne

Dec 15, 2011, 8:27:53 PM12/15/11
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
It is Serena SBM - they took their bug tracker (TeamTrack) and turned it into a general purpose workflow tool. Their SVN integration is a starting to get a little out of date - I'm not sure if they'll be maintaining it or not.

I'm already looking at rewriting their commit hooks - I want to add some flexibility and more detail on my commit logs, but they have a nice issue browser in the plug in that I'd rather not try to reinvent.

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2893866

Leo Davidson

Dec 16, 2011, 2:27:59 AM12/16/11
On 15 December 2011 21:38, Jeff Payne <je...@paynesplace.com> wrote:
> So, your comment begs the question that started this thread:
> how can we run 32bit Tortoise on 64 bit Windows, since...
> (quoting Felix)
> ...isn't true.

The 64-bit TSVN installer includes both 64-bit and 32-bit shell
extensions, so the TSVN context menus work in both types of program,
but I think the main TSVN binaries only have 64-bit versions
installed.

(Here's the TSVN program files dir sorted by bitness, which is where I
got that conclusion from:
http://www.pretentiousname.com/temp/tsvn_32_64_binaries.png )

I don't know if you can manually copy the rest of the 32-bit binaries
and use them on a 64-bit machine, but even if it works it doesn't
sound like a great idea. You'd have to keep doing that manual copy
with each update and it wouldn't be a supported configuration. The two
versions might clash with each other, for all I know. You'd also have
to remember to manually run the right version each time.

One option might be to write a 32/64-bit bridge/wrapper/proxy around
the 32-bit plugin so that it can be used with 64-bit TSVN. I am not
familiar with the TSVN plugin API, so I don't know how complex doing
this would be, but I have done something similar for Adobe's PDF
thumbnailer (to make PDF thumbs work in 64-bit processes) and I'd be
happy to offer advice on how to do it. (If you want to talk about
that, email me directly as it won't be of interest to most people
reading the list.) It's usually pretty easy if you are already
familiar with building basic COM objects in an unmanaged language
(e.g. C or C++).

Leo

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2893930

Andre.Ziegler

Dec 16, 2011, 8:24:49 AM12/16/11
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Install Orca from the Windows SDK, open the MSI with orca, go to
"Lauch Condition" and delete the entry "NOT Msix64", save the MSI and
now run the modified MSI.

On Dec 15, 10:38 pm, Jeff Payne <j...@paynesplace.com> wrote:
> > how can we run 32bit Tortoise on 64 bit Windows, since... (quoting Felix)

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2893995

Jeff Payne

Dec 16, 2011, 2:07:15 PM12/16/11
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Thanks all for your feedback - I'll definitely look into a couple of these options.

Ultimately I think this feedback should go to the developers - the statement that there is no need to install the 32 bit version is indeed false. There are and will probably continue to be valid use cases that require the 32 bit version to run on 64 bit Windows.

I understand if the development team wants to say it isn't supported - that's a different statement with different reasons behind it. I just take issue with people saying "you don't want" when they really mean "you can't have".

Thanks again,

Jeff

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2894044

Stefan Küng

Dec 16, 2011, 2:21:11 PM12/16/11
On 16.12.2011 20:07, Jeff Payne wrote:
> Thanks all for your feedback - I'll definitely look into a couple of
> these options.
>
> Ultimately I think this feedback should go to the developers - the
> statement that there is no need to install the 32 bit version is
> indeed false. There are and will probably continue to be valid use
> cases that require the 32 bit version to run on 64 bit Windows.

There is no reason for having the 32-bit version on x64 Windows. Only
the shell extension dlls of the 32-bit version are installed
automatically, but that's all that's required.
And even that 32-bit dlls then start the x64 version of TortoiseSVN for
the UI stuff.

> I understand if the development team wants to say it isn't supported
> - that's a different statement with different reasons behind it. I
> just take issue with people saying "you don't want" when they really
> mean "you can't have".

No, seriously: you do not want the 32-bit version installed on an x64
Windows version. You only get into trouble.
What you "can't have" apparently is an x64 version of your issue tracker
plugin, but that's not our fault.

Stefan

--
___