missing feature: commit possible in Window "Log Messages"

frank kulow

Jul 21, 2022, 10:10:34 AM7/21/22
to TortoiseSVN
so like in tortoise git

Frank

Stefan

Jul 21, 2022, 3:10:33 PM7/21/22
to TortoiseSVN
That makes no sense.
in the log dialog there's nothing to commit from or to.

frank kulow

Jul 26, 2022, 4:00:18 AM7/26/22
to TortoiseSVN
why no sense?
In TortoiseGit i very often use it. I dont need permanently open new windows.
First i start a log view, and then i make compares, commits, switches.
frank

Daniel Sahlberg

Jul 26, 2022, 4:29:25 AM7/26/22
to TortoiseSVN
tisdag 26 juli 2022 kl. 10:00:18 UTC+2 skrev frank kulow:
why no sense?
In TortoiseGit i very often use it. I dont need permanently open new windows.
First i start a log view, and then i make compares, commits, switches.
frank

I think you need to explain a bit closer how this is intended to work. The log window (as in TortoiseSVN, Show Log), simply show the history. What is show is already committed to the repository. You can already revert a previous revision and you can "merge revision to", both of these modify a local WC.

Kind regards,
Daniel

Tony Rietwyk

Jul 26, 2022, 11:43:29 PM7/26/22
to TortoiseSVN
I assume Frank actually means the TortoiseGit Check Modifications - confusingly titled Working Tree.  Diff on a folder shows the same screen?  It has a Commit button, as well as Stash and Save unified diff.  I never realised that the link to the branch in the top left, actually prompts to do a switch!
I'm quite happy having pop-ups accessed via the Explorer window, and using my preferred difference viewer Beyond Compare.  Maybe Frank would better off with Visual Studio or VS Code, which both support Git in 'permanent' windows - where you can edit the code as well.
tortoisegit2.png

Daniel Sahlberg

Jul 27, 2022, 9:55:34 AM7/27/22
to TortoiseSVN
onsdag 27 juli 2022 kl. 05:43:29 UTC+2 skrev Tony Rietwyk:
I assume Frank actually means the TortoiseGit Check Modifications - confusingly titled Working Tree.  Diff on a folder shows the same screen?  It has a Commit button, as well as Stash and Save unified diff.  I never realised that the link to the branch in the top left, actually prompts to do a switch!

Isn't this very much the same as TortoiseSVN, Check for modifications (see screenshot)? The dialogs look almost identical.

Commit and Stash (which I believe is the equivalent of "Shelve") are available in the right-click menu in the file list.

The only thing missing, from what I can see on the screenshot, is the repository URL and a possibility to switch/relocate the working copy.

I'm quite happy having pop-ups accessed via the Explorer window, and using my preferred difference viewer Beyond Compare.  Maybe Frank would better off with Visual Studio or VS Code, which both support Git in 'permanent' windows - where you can edit the code as well.

I find myself more often using the Commit dialog to see what is modified. Then it is also easy to select the modifications I want to commit and have them committed immediately. The only time I use Check for modifications is when I need to check the repository for potential conflicts before an Update (but most of the time I just Update and solve any conflicts - they have to be handled anyway before commit).

Using Subversion in Visual Studio require a plugin or a bit of configuration (https://tortoisesvn.net/visualstudio.html, but I haven't checked if this is still working).

Kind regards,
Daniel
check_for_modifications.png

frank kulow

Jul 28, 2022, 3:03:49 AM7/28/22
to TortoiseSVN
>> I find myself more often using the Commit dialog to see what is modified.
yes!!!, why cannot it start from log window like TortoiseGit

Am Mi., 27. Juli 2022 um 15:55 Uhr schrieb Daniel Sahlberg via
TortoiseSVN <torto...@googlegroups.com>:
> --
grafik.png

Stefan

Jul 29, 2022, 1:16:51 PM7/29/22
to TortoiseSVN
On Thursday, July 28, 2022 at 9:03:49 AM UTC+2 frank kulow wrote:
>> I find myself more often using the Commit dialog to see what is modified.
yes!!!, why cannot it start from log window like TortoiseGit

because TSVN doesn't show "working tree changes" in the log dialog. The reason is that the log data in SVN is fetched from the repository, while local changes are not in the repository.
With git it's different, there the log shows the local modifications.