subst.c' line 724: assertion failed (STRING_IS_EOL(newline_buf, newline_len))

Stefan Kuhr

Oct 4, 2021, 5:13:33 AM10/4/21
to TortoiseSVN

Hello everyone,

I must have triggered an ASSERT in tortoisesvn, when checkin in a certain file, I get a messagebox with the advice to send this information to the mailing list:

Subversion reported the following
(you can copy the content of this dialog
to the clipboard using Ctrl-C):

In file
 'D:\Development\SVN\Releases\TortoiseSVN-1.14.1\ext\subversion\subversion\libsvn_subr\subst.c'
 line 724: assertion failed (STRING_IS_EOL(newline_buf, newline_len))
---------------------------
OK
---------------------------

I first encountered this with version 1.10.5.28651 and then upgraded to 1.14.1.29085, but the problem persists. Whom can I send to the old revision of the file and the one I tried to check in?

Thanks in advance,

--
Stefan Kuhr

Stefan Kuhr

Oct 4, 2021, 5:28:36 AM10/4/21
to TortoiseSVN
Just in case that matters: on the svn server, version 1.9.7 (r1800392) is running, at least this is what an 'svn --version' tells me.

Stefan Kuhr

Oct 4, 2021, 5:35:28 AM10/4/21
to TortoiseSVN
I just found out, that the same message occurs if I try to check in this file from my Mac, so it probably is a general problem of svn, not a specific problem of TortoiseSVN.

Stefan Kuhr

Oct 4, 2021, 5:47:21 AM10/4/21
to TortoiseSVN
So I found out, that the new revision to be checked in had a mix of CRLF and LF linefeeds, just in case this happens to anyone else

Gnustavo

Jan 9, 2023, 8:35:26 PM1/9/23
to TortoiseSVN
I faced the same error using TSVN 1.14.3 and the solution was the same: uniformize the line endings in all file lines.

Thank you!