SVN shell extension missing in Windows 11

M Heijkoop

Nov 1, 2021, 3:42:14 AM11/1/21
to TortoiseSVN
Hello,

Recently I installed the new Windows 11.
To my dismay, the right-click menu on the working copy folders is not showing the SVN menu items anymore. The folder icons do show the green check / red exclamation mark. And the project manager allows me to add/ edit projects in the repository and in the working copy.

Does anyone know how to get the SVN menu to reappear? So 'commit', 'update', 'Tortoise SVN' which leads to the extended SVN menu in a sublist.

I appreciate any help. I don't even know whether this is really a bug, or just something that I need to configure.

Thanks for any replies!

Daniel Sahlberg

Nov 1, 2021, 3:47:53 AM11/1/21
to TortoiseSVN
Hi,

There is code already to take care of this fine. Unfortunately it require a new version of the client and it has not been released yet. Also the nightly builds doesn't support it since they are not properly signed.

I went through the effort of building my own version, using a self-signed certificate. See https://groups.google.com/g/tortoisesvn-dev/c/zf6JjngNfEs

I don't know if we can convince Stefan to release a new version of the client. Historically, new versions were released at the same time as the Subversion project and I don't know when the next Subversion release will happen.

Kind regards,
Daniel

Justin MASSIOT

Nov 2, 2021, 3:55:37 AM11/2/21
to TortoiseSVN
Hello,

The release of a new MS Windows version may be a good reason enough to make a public release of a new (compatible) TortoiseSVN version, even if it's outside the traditional release scheme ;-)
What do you think @Stefan? The standard user doesn't necessarily want to build TortoiseSVN from sources...

Justin

Stefan

Nov 2, 2021, 3:30:52 PM11/2/21
to TortoiseSVN
On Monday, November 1, 2021 at 8:42:14 AM UTC+1 M Heijkoop wrote:
Hello,

Recently I installed the new Windows 11.
To my dismay, the right-click menu on the working copy folders is not showing the SVN menu items anymore. The folder icons do show the green check / red exclamation mark. And the project manager allows me to add/ edit projects in the repository and in the working copy.

Does anyone know how to get the SVN menu to reappear? So 'commit', 'update', 'Tortoise SVN' which leads to the extended SVN menu in a sublist.

on Win11, the "top" context menu only shows very few entries. To get to the normal context menu, select the entry "show more options".
Or just hit Shift+F10 or the right windows key.
There are also some registry hacks available to always get the normal context menu, just search for it...

M Heijkoop

Nov 11, 2021, 8:52:07 AM11/11/21
to TortoiseSVN
Thank you Stefan!
I found the menu items in the extended menu.

M Heijkoop

Nov 11, 2021, 9:27:47 AM11/11/21
to TortoiseSVN
To anyone who is following this item: Here is a link which shows you how to restore the classic right-click menu in W11.

It worked seamlessly for me!

Uttam Kumar

Apr 11, 2023, 11:12:21 AM4/11/23
to TortoiseSVN
Thanks a lot Stefan!!

I was facing this issue since long time, tried adding extension in STS too but no luck. You simple guide has helped.

Thanks,
Uttam