All TortoiseSVN 1.10+ builds inadvertently compile with APR_HAVE_IPV6 = 1?

Evgeny Kotkov

May 17, 2022, 1:57:05 PM5/17/22
to torto...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I see that all TortoiseSVN 1.10 and later builds (both regular and "-ipv6")
have been compiled with APR_HAVE_IPV6 = 1.

This happened because APR 1.6 changed the default value for APR_HAVE_IPV6
from 0 to 1, so apr.build tries to replace the string that no longer exists:

    <replacestring from="#define APR_HAVE_IPV6           0"
                   to="#define APR_HAVE_IPV6           1"
                   if="${ipv6 == 'enabled'}" />

To confirm this, the most recent non-ipv6 build says "ipv6 enabled" in About:
https://osdn.net/projects/tortoisesvn/storage/1.14.3/Application/TortoiseSVN-1.14.3.29387-x64-svn-1.14.2.msi
image.png

Maybe the script could be updated to disable IPv6 as originally intended.

Or maybe there is no real problem in enabling IPv6, because the change
happened 5 years ago in TSVN 1.10.0, and apparently it hasn't been causing
issues for the users. If so, it might make sense to keep IPv6 enabled in the
mainstream builds and remove the non-ipv6/ipv6 distinction.

Anyway, reporting this discrepancy just in case…

Thanks,
Evgeny Kotkov

Evgeny Kotkov

May 17, 2022, 2:07:59 PM5/17/22
to torto...@googlegroups.com
Evgeny Kotkov <evgeny...@visualsvn.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I see that all TortoiseSVN 1.10 and later builds (both regular and "-ipv6")
> have been compiled with APR_HAVE_IPV6 = 1.
>
> This happened because APR 1.6 changed the default value for APR_HAVE_IPV6
> from 0 to 1, so apr.build tries to replace the string that no longer exists:
> …

Thanks
Evgeny Kotkov

Stefan

May 17, 2022, 2:10:14 PM5/17/22
to TortoiseSVN
no need to post there again.

You're of course right, I completely missed the change in the apr default.
So I guess we can drop the special ipv6 build and just have the normal build ipv6 enabled.
As it seems there weren't any complaints about connection problems?

Stefan

Evgeny Kotkov

May 17, 2022, 2:40:57 PM5/17/22
to TortoiseSVN
> So I guess we can drop the special ipv6 build and just have the normal build
> ipv6 enabled. As it seems there weren't any complaints about connection
> problems?

Sounds fine.  As far as I can tell, we didn't have any related complaints
from users.

Thanks,
Evgeny Kotkov