Windows 11 context menu missing vital options

Peter Row

Oct 17, 2022, 10:33:49 AM10/17/22
to TortoiseSVN
Hi,
Just upgraded to 1.14.5.29465, to see if that added/fixed my issue.

If I select 1 or more files in Win explorer, right click, Tort SVN menu, there is no option to SVN delete the file(s).

In order to do this I have to use the Win 11 show more options menu option to get to the classic context menu where the SVN delete option is still available.

Can this please be resolved/added back when you get a chance?

Daniel Sahlberg

Oct 17, 2022, 12:45:35 PM10/17/22
to TortoiseSVN
Hi,

Have you noted that there is a setting which commands are displayed in the Windows 11 Context menu?
image.png

I'm not sure why not all commands are shown but I expect there is a good reason (performance?).

Kind regards,
Daniel

Peter Row

Oct 18, 2022, 6:19:51 AM10/18/22
to TortoiseSVN
I did not think to check that. However, I went to the Win 11 context menu settings and ticked the "Delete" option, but the option is still not there when you right click a file already committed to SVN.

I really hope this isn't a performance thing because otherwise if/when MS remove the classic context menu TortoiseSVN will be unusable.

Daniel Sahlberg

Oct 18, 2022, 7:13:27 AM10/18/22
to TortoiseSVN
When I was testing I had some trouble to get Explorer to accept the new settings. I had to kill explorer.exe and restart it (logout/login or restart computer should have the same effect) before changes appeared. It didn't seem consistent (sometimes I had a feeling the items appeared immediately, but I didn't test it enough).

I didn't mean that menu choices don't appear because of performance issues, rather if it could hurt performance to show all at once. Thinking of it, it's probably more likely to give users the possiblity remove seldom used options to reduce clutter.

/Daniel

Peter Row

Nov 29, 2022, 11:16:25 AM11/29/22
to TortoiseSVN
After reboots it does seem to now show everything I had selected. Although now I'm getting the same issue as everyone else on Win 11 22H2 - none of the Win 11 style menu items work, you have to use the classic context menu. The other post about this issue seems to say it might be a Windows 11 issue.

Peter Row

Mar 2, 2023, 10:41:57 AM3/2/23
to TortoiseSVN
Even after using the working around to get Windows 11 context menu working again -  Windows 11 new context menu not working (google.com) - the SVN delete menu item is not appearing despite being ticked on the context menu and Win 11 context menu settings.

Peter Row

Mar 2, 2023, 10:41:57 AM3/2/23
to TortoiseSVN
I've used the workaround in  Windows 11 new context menu not working (google.com) to make the Win 11 context menu items work when clicked.
I have also gone to the settings and ticked the Win 11 context menu "Delete" option but it still doesn't show despite restarting the explorer process. The worrying thing is that the problem seems to be getting worse as the delete option is not present in the classic context menu either.

Daniel Sahlberg

Mar 2, 2023, 10:54:52 AM3/2/23
to TortoiseSVN
torsdag 2 mars 2023 kl. 16:41:57 UTC+1 skrev Peter Row:
I've used the workaround in  Windows 11 new context menu not working (google.com) to make the Win 11 context menu items work when clicked.
I have also gone to the settings and ticked the Win 11 context menu "Delete" option but it still doesn't show despite restarting the explorer process. The worrying thing is that the problem seems to be getting worse as the delete option is not present in the classic context menu either.

Can you verify that the file you are right clicking is actually versioned? The Delete option in the classic context menu (and in the new one, I'm sure, but I'm currently not running a release build so I can't test the new context menu) only appears if you are right clicking a versioned file.

/Daniel