1.6.1: wrong context menu on unversioned files on network drive

3 views
Skip to first unread message

Alexander Dahl

unread,
Apr 14, 2009, 11:35:58 AM4/14/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Hi all,

I assume, I discovered a bug in the recent versions of TortoiseSVN. I
had this with 1.6.0 and still with 1.6.1 on german 32-bit WinXP SP3.

Here's what I did long before upgrading to 1.6.x

* activated icon overlay for network drives
* checked out a wc on network drive N:\ which is automatically mounted
by the scripts in the Windows Domain environment at work
* worked as usual with update, commit, branch, add, ...

Now I upgraded to 1.6.x. When right clicking on an unversioned file in
this working copy on the network drive I get the same context menu for
versioned _and_ unversioned files. This makes it impossible to add an
unversioned file with TortoiseSVN (I do this with the command line
version of subversion now). Of course the shown menu points don't make
sense on unversioned files and fail with different error messages.

This does not occur on a local hard drive!

The subversion server has version 1.4.x, access is via https and
htaccess secured.

I hope you can find the reason for this behaviour and fix it in the next
version.

Greets
Alex

--
***** http://www.lespocky.de *******************************
GnuPG-FP: 02C8 A590 7FE5 CA5F 3601 D1D5 8FBA 7744 CC87 10D0

Stefan Küng

unread,
Apr 14, 2009, 12:11:59 PM4/14/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Alexander Dahl wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I assume, I discovered a bug in the recent versions of TortoiseSVN. I
> had this with 1.6.0 and still with 1.6.1 on german 32-bit WinXP SP3.
>
> Here's what I did long before upgrading to 1.6.x
>
> * activated icon overlay for network drives
> * checked out a wc on network drive N:\ which is automatically mounted
> by the scripts in the Windows Domain environment at work
> * worked as usual with update, commit, branch, add, ...
>
> Now I upgraded to 1.6.x. When right clicking on an unversioned file in
> this working copy on the network drive I get the same context menu for
> versioned _and_ unversioned files. This makes it impossible to add an
> unversioned file with TortoiseSVN (I do this with the command line
> version of subversion now). Of course the shown menu points don't make
> sense on unversioned files and fail with different error messages.
>
> This does not occur on a local hard drive!
>
> The subversion server has version 1.4.x, access is via https and
> htaccess secured.
>
> I hope you can find the reason for this behaviour and fix it in the next
> version.

Do you have the registry key HKCU\Software\\TortoiseSVN\\SimpleContext
set to somethine other than 0?
In that case, TSVN won't fetch the status of items...

Stefan

--
___
oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"
(_,\/ \_/ \ TortoiseSVN
\ \_/_\_/> The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
/_/ \_\ http://tortoisesvn.net

------------------------------------------------------
http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=1712717

To unsubscribe from this discussion, e-mail: [users-un...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org].

signature.asc

Alexander Dahl

unread,
Apr 14, 2009, 12:58:43 PM4/14/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Hi Stefan,

> Do you have the registry key HKCU\Software\\TortoiseSVN\\SimpleContext
> set to somethine other than 0?

I assume HKCU is HKEY_CURRENT_USER. The above key doesn't exist on this
machine.

Stefan Küng

unread,
Apr 14, 2009, 3:04:05 PM4/14/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Alexander Dahl wrote:
> Hi Stefan,
>
>> Do you have the registry key HKCU\Software\\TortoiseSVN\\SimpleContext
>> set to somethine other than 0?
>
> I assume HKCU is HKEY_CURRENT_USER. The above key doesn't exist on this
> machine.

TSVN doesn't differ whether a path is on a network share or a local disk
when showing the context menu (unless that key mentioned above is set to
!= 0).

Is your path on a mapped drive?

Stefan


--
___
oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"
(_,\/ \_/ \ TortoiseSVN
\ \_/_\_/> The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
/_/ \_\ http://tortoisesvn.net

------------------------------------------------------
http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=1714788

signature.asc

Alexander Dahl

unread,
Apr 14, 2009, 5:01:18 PM4/14/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Hi Stefan,

> Is your path on a mapped drive?

What path? The path of the working copy? This is, as I already said
before, on drive N:\ which is a network share so I assume yes, it's a
mapped drive, if I understand correctly a drive letter mapped to a
\\someserver\some\path thing.

Greets
Alex

--
***** http://www.lespocky.de *******************************************
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase
a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
(Benjamin Franklin)

------------------------------------------------------
http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=1716023

signature.asc

Stefan Küng

unread,
Apr 15, 2009, 11:57:02 AM4/15/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Alexander Dahl wrote:
> Hi Stefan,
>
>> Is your path on a mapped drive?
>
> What path? The path of the working copy? This is, as I already said
> before, on drive N:\ which is a network share so I assume yes, it's a
> mapped drive, if I understand correctly a drive letter mapped to a
> \\someserver\some\path thing.

I've tested this now on my home pc (has three Vista network shares
mounted) and my office pc (has seven SAMBA shares mounted, two different
SAMBA versions): the menu was shown correctly for both versioned and
unversioned items.

There must be something very different on your setup. Did you try
running an update/cleanup on your working copies? They might still be in
the old 1.5.x format and update/cleanup would update them.
Do you have full access to the working copy (including rights to change
permissions)?

Stefan

--
___
oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"
(_,\/ \_/ \ TortoiseSVN
\ \_/_\_/> The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
/_/ \_\ http://tortoisesvn.net

------------------------------------------------------
http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=1729004

signature.asc

Alexander Dahl

unread,
Apr 16, 2009, 2:45:01 AM4/16/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Hi Stefan,

> There must be something very different on your setup. Did you try
> running an update/cleanup on your working copies? They might still be in
> the old 1.5.x format and update/cleanup would update them.

I did an update/cleanup now (although I usually do an update frequently
while working). This doesn't help.

I did two clean checkouts now, one on local hard drive one on the mapped
network drive. I copied another file, an unversioned file, to both
folders. When right clicking this file on the local hard drive the
context menu allows me to add or ignore the file. On the network drive I
get the same context menu on the unversioned file as for each versioned
file. I am not able to add or ignore the unversioned file on the network
drive.

> Do you have full access to the working copy (including rights to change
> permissions)?

Yes, full access for me.

Greets
Alex

--

Stefan Küng

unread,
Apr 16, 2009, 11:51:13 AM4/16/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Alexander Dahl wrote:
> Hi Stefan,
>
>> There must be something very different on your setup. Did you try
>> running an update/cleanup on your working copies? They might still be in
>> the old 1.5.x format and update/cleanup would update them.
>
> I did an update/cleanup now (although I usually do an update frequently
> while working). This doesn't help.
>
> I did two clean checkouts now, one on local hard drive one on the mapped
> network drive. I copied another file, an unversioned file, to both
> folders. When right clicking this file on the local hard drive the
> context menu allows me to add or ignore the file. On the network drive I
> get the same context menu on the unversioned file as for each versioned
> file. I am not able to add or ignore the unversioned file on the network
> drive.

As I said, this works just fine for me.
Do you maybe have those files match the global ignore pattern or an
svn:ignored property?

Stefan

--
___
oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"
(_,\/ \_/ \ TortoiseSVN
\ \_/_\_/> The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
/_/ \_\ http://tortoisesvn.net

------------------------------------------------------
http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=1749445

signature.asc

Alexander Dahl

unread,
Apr 17, 2009, 4:49:23 AM4/17/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Hi Stefan,

> As I said, this works just fine for me.

I could try this with a complete different client PC and repositories at
home later.

> Do you maybe have those files match the global ignore pattern or an
> svn:ignored property?

I think no. The set properties on the checked out folder:

bugtraq:label
bugtraq:url
svn:ignore
webviewer:pathrevision
bugtraq:number
webviewer:revision
bugtraq:logregex
svk:merge

svn:ignore is set to:

newpath.mat
*.asv
tmp.diff
*.swp

There are numerous files *.m checked in. I create a new unversioned file
foo.m and get the described behaviour. This is the same with all other
file extensions I've tried.

What is a global ignore pattern? Where do I set this?

Greets
Alex

--

***** http://www.lespocky.de *******************************************
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase
a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
(Benjamin Franklin)

------------------------------------------------------
http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=1763936

signature.asc

Simon Large

unread,
Apr 17, 2009, 8:13:53 AM4/17/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
2009/4/17 Alexander Dahl <po...@lespocky.de>:

> Hi Stefan,
>
>> As I said, this works just fine for me.
>
> I could try this with a complete different client PC and repositories at
> home later.
>
>> Do you maybe have those files match the global ignore pattern or an
>> svn:ignored property?
>
> I think no. The set properties on the checked out folder:
>
>  bugtraq:label
>  bugtraq:url
>  svn:ignore
>  webviewer:pathrevision
>  bugtraq:number
>  webviewer:revision
>  bugtraq:logregex
>  svk:merge
>
> svn:ignore is set to:
>
>  newpath.mat
>  *.asv
>  tmp.diff
>  *.swp
>
> There are numerous files *.m checked in. I create a new unversioned file
> foo.m and get the described behaviour. This is the same with all other
> file extensions I've tried.
>
> What is a global ignore pattern? Where do I set this?

TortoiseSVN->Settings->General

But it sounds like this is not the problem. The symptom described is
that an unversioned file gets the context menu for a versioned file.

Simon

--
: ___
: oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"
: (_,\/ \_/ \ TortoiseSVN
: \ \_/_\_/> The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
: /_/ \_\ http://tortoisesvn.net

------------------------------------------------------
http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=1766654

Alexander Dahl

unread,
Apr 17, 2009, 8:36:47 AM4/17/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Hi Simon,

> TortoiseSVN->Settings->General

Thanks. I verified that I tried to add a file which is not matched by
this list. foo.m should not be covered by this setting (I never touched
this).

> But it sounds like this is not the problem. The symptom described is
> that an unversioned file gets the context menu for a versioned file.

Exactly. This is the symptom but it only occurs on the mapped network
drive not on a partition of the local hard drive.

Greets
Alex

--

Stefan Küng

unread,
Apr 17, 2009, 1:44:34 PM4/17/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Alexander Dahl wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>
>> TortoiseSVN->Settings->General
>
> Thanks. I verified that I tried to add a file which is not matched by
> this list. foo.m should not be covered by this setting (I never touched
> this).
>
>> But it sounds like this is not the problem. The symptom described is
>> that an unversioned file gets the context menu for a versioned file.
>
> Exactly. This is the symptom but it only occurs on the mapped network
> drive not on a partition of the local hard drive.

Very, very strange.
What server is the network share on? SAMBA? Maybe it's a problem with
the configuration?

Stefan

--
___
oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"
(_,\/ \_/ \ TortoiseSVN
\ \_/_\_/> The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
/_/ \_\ http://tortoisesvn.net

------------------------------------------------------
http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=1771648

signature.asc

Alexander Dahl

unread,
Apr 18, 2009, 7:27:26 AM4/18/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Hi,

> Very, very strange.
> What server is the network share on? SAMBA? Maybe it's a problem with
> the configuration?

Sorry, I can't answer this, I would have to ask the domain admins. I'm
not sure if this is possible. :-(

Greets
Alex

------------------------------------------------------
http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=1787852

signature.asc

Stefan Küng

unread,
Apr 18, 2009, 9:13:51 AM4/18/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 13:27, Alexander Dahl <po...@lespocky.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Very, very strange.
>> What server is the network share on? SAMBA? Maybe it's a problem with
>> the configuration?
>
> Sorry, I can't answer this, I would have to ask the domain admins. I'm
> not sure if this is possible. :-(

Could this maybe be a reason?
http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=1787205

Stefan

--
___
oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"
(_,\/ \_/ \ TortoiseSVN
\ \_/_\_/> The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
/_/ \_\ http://tortoisesvn.net

------------------------------------------------------
http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=1789663

Alexander Dahl

unread,
Apr 18, 2009, 11:31:53 AM4/18/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Hi,

> I could try this with a complete different client PC and repositories at
> home later.

I could not reproduce this at home with WinXP Home SP2 and a Linux
server running eisfair and Samba 3.0.34 checking out a copy from a
subversion server running svn 1.4.x on Debian Etch. Everything works
fine here. I'll go on with further testing at work on monday.

Greets
Alex

--
***** http://www.lespocky.de *******************************************
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase
a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
(Benjamin Franklin)

------------------------------------------------------
http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=1791653

Alexander Dahl

unread,
Apr 20, 2009, 4:19:32 AM4/20/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Hi Stefan,

I don't think so. I don't have problems with the subversion command line
version 1.6.1 from SlikSVN on this working copy.

I had access to two other computers in my office now (with the same
network share), both WinXP Professional SP3 32bit. One has TortoiseSVN
1.5.5 installed, the other 1.4.8. I repeated the clean checkouts and
can't reproduce the problems there. I'm sorry I can not upgrade to 1.6.x
on these two PCs but there's another machine which I can test tomorrow.

Greets
Alex

--

***** http://www.lespocky.de *******************************************
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase
a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
(Benjamin Franklin)

------------------------------------------------------
http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=1820923

signature.asc

Alexander Dahl

unread,
Apr 21, 2009, 7:10:47 AM4/21/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
> > Very, very strange.
> > What server is the network share on? SAMBA? Maybe it's a problem with
> > the configuration?
>
> Sorry, I can't answer this, I would have to ask the domain admins. I'm
> not sure if this is possible. :-(

And now something happened I suspected. The local admin migrated the
network share to another machine. Same data, same driver letter,
different server in the background and I am not able to reproduce this
behaviour anymore. :-(

I'm sorry, that's it's not possible anymore to solve this correctly.

Stefan Küng

unread,
Apr 21, 2009, 7:16:37 AM4/21/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Alexander Dahl wrote:
>>> Very, very strange.
>>> What server is the network share on? SAMBA? Maybe it's a problem with
>>> the configuration?
>> Sorry, I can't answer this, I would have to ask the domain admins. I'm
>> not sure if this is possible. :-(
>
> And now something happened I suspected. The local admin migrated the
> network share to another machine. Same data, same driver letter,
> different server in the background and I am not able to reproduce this
> behaviour anymore. :-(
>
> I'm sorry, that's it's not possible anymore to solve this correctly.

I'd say the issue *is* solved: it clearly was an issue with your setup :)

Stefan

--
___
oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"
(_,\/ \_/ \ TortoiseSVN
\ \_/_\_/> The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
/_/ \_\ http://tortoisesvn.net

------------------------------------------------------
http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=1841812

signature.asc
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages