All revisions in the Unshelving UI always show the last log message

Shawn W

Nov 11, 2023, 6:41:51 PM11/11/23
to TortoiseSVN

I just installed TortoiseSVN-1.14.5.29465-x64-svn-1.14.2.msi in Windows  11. Shelving is set to use the V2 (faster), i.e. the default setting.

In Shelving UI, I can assign the log message. However, in Unshelving UI, the log message is always shown as that was entered for the last shelving revision, and selecting any previous revision in the shelve does NOT change the log message. This makes the shelving log message to be much less useful.

Can you please investigate and fix this? Thanks!

Shawn W

Nov 12, 2023, 2:07:33 AM11/12/23
to TortoiseSVN
Forgot to mention: I used the "Checkpoint" (snapshot and keep the current changes) instead of the "Shelve" (snapshot and reset the changes) in the Shelving UI.

Daniel Sahlberg

Nov 13, 2023, 2:43:52 AM11/13/23
to TortoiseSVN
As far as I can see there is only one log message stored by Subversion's shelving feature (same for v3 as well).

Kind regards,
Daniel

PS: Please don't start a new thread about the same subject, it just creates unnecessary noise.

Shawn W

Nov 13, 2023, 2:13:45 PM11/13/23
to TortoiseSVN
Thank you for your reply!
My SVN CLI is 1.14.1.
Tried the following commands:

svn help -v

svn help x-shelve

svn help x-unshelve

svn x-shelf-list    # list different shelves

svn x-shelf-log logging    # list different versions in the shelf “logging”

Checked the shelf folder, and the last log message is stored in a file like <root>\.svn\experimental\shelves\v2\6c6f6767696e67.log

As you said before, only the last message is preserved.

The actual patches are stored in separate subfolders like <root>\.svn\experimental\shelves\6c6f6767696e67-023.d.

I hope the SVN lib can be updated to store/retrieve the log message per version in separate files -- I think I should report to SVN bug/feature request.

Shawn W

Jun 5, 2024, 5:16:04 PMJun 5
to TortoiseSVN
Found a workaround:
I write the log message in a format similar to the following:
4.{message for shelve revision 4}
3.{message for shelve revision 3}
2.{message for shelve revision 2}
1.{message for shelve revision 1}

I.e. one large log message contains the message for every shelve revision.