Checkout a "view" of the repository to limit working set?

10 views
Skip to first unread message

McGeeky

unread,
Jul 2, 2008, 4:49:39 AM7/2/08
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Hi.

Does TortoiseSVN have a facility whereby a partial repository tree can
be checked out? I am not talking about simply checking out a sub-
branch, but rather checking out a branch and stating that certain
folders should not be checked out.

For example, we have the following setup;

Project
Project 1
Project 2
Project 3
Project 4
Project 5

I want to be able to check out the root project folder but specify
that only Projects 1, 2, and 5 should be checked out. 3 and 4 should
be hidden.

Then I can right click on the root project folder and run commands
such as commit or update and it will commit/update the projects 1, 2
and 5.

Thanks!

McGeeky

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-un...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org

Simon Large

unread,
Jul 2, 2008, 5:05:02 AM7/2/08
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
2008/7/2 McGeeky <myles....@thinkscape.com>:

> Hi.
>
> Does TortoiseSVN have a facility whereby a partial repository tree can
> be checked out? I am not talking about simply checking out a sub-
> branch, but rather checking out a branch and stating that certain
> folders should not be checked out.
>
> For example, we have the following setup;
>
> Project
> Project 1
> Project 2
> Project 3
> Project 4
> Project 5
>
> I want to be able to check out the root project folder but specify
> that only Projects 1, 2, and 5 should be checked out. 3 and 4 should
> be hidden.
>
> Then I can right click on the root project folder and run commands
> such as commit or update and it will commit/update the projects 1, 2
> and 5.

In 1.5 you can, although you have to specify includes, not excludes.

1. Checkout the top level but set checkout depth to "Immediate
children including folders". That will checkout empty (unpopulated)
folders.
2. Select all the folders which you are interested in and use
"Update-to-revision", changing the depth setting to "Fully recursive".
You will then have fully populated folders of your choice.
3. A normal Update from the top level will remember your depth choices.

Note that it is not possible (yet) to downgrade working copy depth
yet. Once fully-recursive, always fully-recursive.

Simon

--
: ___
: oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"
: (_,\/ \_/ \ TortoiseSVN
: \ \_/_\_/> The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
: /_/ \_\ http://tortoisesvn.net

Simon Berry

unread,
Jul 2, 2008, 5:36:36 AM7/2/08
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org

> In 1.5 you can, although you have to specify includes, not excludes.
>
> 1. Checkout the top level but set checkout depth to "Immediate
> children including folders". That will checkout empty (unpopulated)
> folders.
> 2. Select all the folders which you are interested in and use
> "Update-to-revision", changing the depth setting to "Fully recursive".
> You will then have fully populated folders of your choice.
> 3. A normal Update from the top level will remember your depth
choices.
>
> Note that it is not possible (yet) to downgrade working copy depth
> yet. Once fully-recursive, always fully-recursive.
>

I think that this is a very useful description on how to achieve sparse
checkouts and should be added to the help file.

McGeeky

unread,
Jul 2, 2008, 6:45:54 AM7/2/08
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Thanks Simon, that's great news. I'll take a look.

BTW. Does this feature also support the following scenario:

Projects
Project 1
Folder 1
Folder 2
Folder 3
Project 2
Project 3

Where I want to fully checkout projects 2 and 3 but only folders 1 and
2 from project 1?

Some of our project trees are quite deep.

Thanks!

McGeeky

On Jul 2, 10:05 am, "Simon Large" <simon.tortoise...@googlemail.com>
wrote:
> 2008/7/2 McGeeky <myles.jeff...@thinkscape.com>:

> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscr...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: users-h...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

Simon Large

unread,
Jul 2, 2008, 8:01:51 AM7/2/08
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
2008/7/2 McGeeky <myles....@thinkscape.com>:

> Thanks Simon, that's great news. I'll take a look.
>
> BTW. Does this feature also support the following scenario:
>
> Projects
> Project 1
> Folder 1
> Folder 2
> Folder 3
> Project 2
> Project 3
>
> Where I want to fully checkout projects 2 and 3 but only folders 1 and
> 2 from project 1?
>
> Some of our project trees are quite deep.

You would have to do it in stages: Check out Project 1 at folder-only
level, then go into that folder and decide which lower levels you
want. It's a bit tedious, but you don't need to do it often.

Simon

--
: ___
: oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"
: (_,\/ \_/ \ TortoiseSVN
: \ \_/_\_/> The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
: /_/ \_\ http://tortoisesvn.net

---------------------------------------------------------------------

McGeeky

unread,
Jul 2, 2008, 8:50:54 AM7/2/08
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Thanks again!

On Jul 2, 1:01 pm, "Simon Large" <simon.tortoise...@googlemail.com>
wrote:
> 2008/7/2 McGeeky <myles.jeff...@thinkscape.com>:
>
>
>
>
>


> > Thanks Simon, that's great news. I'll take a look.
>
> > BTW. Does this feature also support the following scenario:
>
> > Projects
> >  Project 1
> >    Folder 1
> >    Folder 2
> >    Folder 3
> >  Project 2
> >  Project 3
>
> > Where I want to fully checkout projects 2 and 3 but only folders 1 and
> > 2 from project 1?
>
> > Some of our project trees are quite deep.
>
> You would have to do it in stages: Check out Project 1 at folder-only
> level, then go into that folder and decide which lower levels you
> want. It's a bit tedious, but you don't need to do it often.
>
> Simon
>
> --
> : ___
> : oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"
> : (_,\/ \_/ \ TortoiseSVN
> : \ \_/_\_/> The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
> : /_/ \_\http://tortoisesvn.net
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------

> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscr...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: users-h...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages