Export failed and Checkout failed through an unreliable internet connection

Alexander Dobrynin

Dec 30, 2022, 11:05:49 AM12/30/22
to TortoiseSVN
Hi,
I did'n find such a topic (either "Export failed" or "Checkout failed") on your recommended mailing list https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/tortoisesvn, so I believe my problem always existed in TortoiseSVN and does exist now. I am using the latest TortoiseSVN version 1.14.5, Build 29465 - 64 Bit , 2022/09/24 08:31:31. It is not exactly a bug, but a missing feature. I believe it is needed for many users.

Since sometime, I am unable to Export or Checkout large volumes of data, because (presumably) my internet connection became worse. Now I get messages "Export failed" and "Checkout failed", please see attached screens. It says the reason is "Connection timed out". That means that TortoiseSVN cannot reestablish a new connection when timeout occurs. While such a feature is presumably a must for an internet downloader which TortoiseSVN somehow is. With my worsened connection I am still able to download any large volumes of data through internet browser or downloader. It's a pity that TortoiseSVN cannot act alike. Could you please add this feature?Export failed.pngCheckout failed.png

Stefan

Dec 30, 2022, 11:17:13 AM12/30/22
to TortoiseSVN
Actually, subversion does re-establish a lost connection. It does this (I think) three times before giving up.
The error you see "Connection timed out" is the error you get when trying to establish a new connection times out (that's why "connection" timed out, not e.g. "waiting for data timed out" or something like that).

Alexander Dobrynin

Dec 31, 2022, 8:17:14 AM12/31/22
to TortoiseSVN
Thank you very much, Stefan, for your prompt answer! And happy new year!
Could you just advise me then, what I should do to mend my situation? Should I blame the SVN host I tried to Export from? What am I to say them, specifically? Do you know what they may do to mend the situation?

пятница, 30 декабря 2022 г. в 21:17:13 UTC+5, Stefan:

Stefan

Jan 5, 2023, 11:10:04 AM1/5/23
to TortoiseSVN
On Saturday, December 31, 2022 at 2:17:14 PM UTC+1 adli...@gmail.com wrote:
Thank you very much, Stefan, for your prompt answer! And happy new year!
Could you just advise me then, what I should do to mend my situation? Should I blame the SVN host I tried to Export from? What am I to say them, specifically? Do you know what they may do to mend the situation?

Since I have no information of how your network is set up, I can't give you any advice on how to narrow down the problem. Sorry.
Also you might get better help on the svn users mailing list with these kinds of issues...

Stefan

Alexander Dobrynin

Jan 6, 2023, 4:02:30 AM1/6/23
to TortoiseSVN
Thank you, Stefan. You are right, the problem does not have much to do with TortoiseSVN. My internet provider wisely recommended me to download without internet router, directly. And it worked: Export finished successfully. So I realized that problem is in my internet router. I then tried to download with internet router, and it was successful too. So finally I decided that the internet router responsivity deteriorates with time. The solution then is to restart the internet router more often. That's it.

четверг, 5 января 2023 г. в 21:10:04 UTC+5, Stefan: