AW: Correcting moved External repository paths (that no longer exist) in the current SVN Repository

Message has been deleted

Niemann, Hartmut

Oct 19, 2021, 2:40:38 AM10/19/21
to TortoiseSVN

Hi!

If you checkout the main repo with “no externals”, this should work without error messages.

Then navigate to all directories where externals are referenced and edit the directory’s property

svn:externals. (rightclick on the directory->tortoiseSVN->properties, select svn:externals -> edit, edit the path referenced)

Then update the repo (which will fetch all externals and check whether you made a mistake)

and commit if the update went smooth.

Just a hint: there are special shortcuts for “in this repo” (^) and “on the same server as this repo” (^/..) , so for most externals, I have not entered any host name.

See https://tortoisesvn.net/docs/release/TortoiseSVN_en/tsvn-dug-externals.html :

Relative to repository root

These URLs always begin with the string ^/ for example:

^/widgets/foo  common/foo-widget

This will extract http://example.com/svn/repos-1/widgets/foo into C:\Working\common\foo-widget.

You can easily refer to other repositories with the same SVNParentPath (a common directory holding several repositories). For example:

^/../repos-2/hammers/claw  common/claw-hammer

This will extract http://example.com/svn/repos-2/hammers/claw into C:\Working\common\claw-hammer.

Hope this helps.

Hartmut