BUG: Intellisense on secondary monitor is shown on the primary monitor

noise

Jun 26, 2008, 8:42:17 AM6/26/08
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Configuration: TortoiseSVN 1.5 on windows XP.

In commit dialog in message textbox when I write some text and
intellisense suggest me some file names it is shown on the primary
monitor, not on the secondary one (i.e. outside of the textbox, far
far away from the commit dialog).

This bug wasn't present in the previous version.

Andy Levy

Jun 26, 2008, 10:21:57 AM6/26/08
On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 8:42 AM, noise <big.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Configuration: TortoiseSVN 1.5 on windows XP.
>
> In commit dialog in message textbox when I write some text and
> intellisense suggest me some file names it is shown on the primary
> monitor, not on the secondary one (i.e. outside of the textbox, far
> far away from the commit dialog).
>
> This bug wasn't present in the previous version.

Can't speak to the previous version but I can reproduce this on my
Lenovo Thinkpad R60. The intellisense shows up pinned against the left
edge of the primary display (my secondary is to the left of my
primary).

I've seen things like this happen with other software as well (details
escape me at the moment), so the root cause may be outside TSVN.

Stefan Küng

Jun 26, 2008, 1:06:31 PM6/26/08
Andy Levy wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 8:42 AM, noise <big.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Configuration: TortoiseSVN 1.5 on windows XP.
>>
>> In commit dialog in message textbox when I write some text and
>> intellisense suggest me some file names it is shown on the primary
>> monitor, not on the secondary one (i.e. outside of the textbox, far
>> far away from the commit dialog).
>>
>> This bug wasn't present in the previous version.
>
> Can't speak to the previous version but I can reproduce this on my
> Lenovo Thinkpad R60. The intellisense shows up pinned against the left
> edge of the primary display (my secondary is to the left of my
> primary).
>
> I've seen things like this happen with other software as well (details
> escape me at the moment), so the root cause may be outside TSVN.

This is done by the Scintilla control.
Since I don't have a dual-monitor setup to test this myself, please try
this:

* Download SciTe from here: http://www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html
* Goto Options | Open Global Options File and uncomment
autocompleteword.automatic=1
* save the file
* restart SciTE
* open an empty file called "test.h"
* enter
#include "test.h"
* enter '#' just below that line
* you should see an intellisense pop up

if that popup also is on the wrong monitor, then please open an issue here:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=2439&atid=102439

Stefan

--
___
oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"

signature.asc

Andy Levy

Jun 26, 2008, 1:10:10 PM6/26/08
On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 1:06 PM, Stefan Küng <torto...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Andy Levy wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 8:42 AM, noise <big.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Configuration: TortoiseSVN 1.5 on windows XP.
>>>
>>> In commit dialog in message textbox when I write some text and
>>> intellisense suggest me some file names it is shown on the primary
>>> monitor, not on the secondary one (i.e. outside of the textbox, far
>>> far away from the commit dialog).
>>>
>>> This bug wasn't present in the previous version.
>>
>> Can't speak to the previous version but I can reproduce this on my
>> Lenovo Thinkpad R60. The intellisense shows up pinned against the left
>> edge of the primary display (my secondary is to the left of my
>> primary).
>>
>> I've seen things like this happen with other software as well (details
>> escape me at the moment), so the root cause may be outside TSVN.
>
> This is done by the Scintilla control.
> Since I don't have a dual-monitor setup to test this myself, please try
> this:
>
> * Download SciTe from here: http://www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html

Already had it. Version 1.70-wbd-1

> * Goto Options | Open Global Options File and uncomment
> autocompleteword.automatic=1

Was already uncommented

> * save the file
> * restart SciTE
> * open an empty file called "test.h"
> * enter
> #include "test.h"
> * enter '#' just below that line
> * you should see an intellisense pop up

My SCiTE intellisense pop-ups appear directly below the word I'm
typing (after I press "i" in the test above) - no second-monitor
issue.

Stefan Küng

Jun 26, 2008, 1:15:22 PM6/26/08
Andy Levy wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 1:06 PM, Stefan Küng <torto...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Andy Levy wrote:

>>> Can't speak to the previous version but I can reproduce this on my
>>> Lenovo Thinkpad R60. The intellisense shows up pinned against the left
>>> edge of the primary display (my secondary is to the left of my
>>> primary).
>>>
>>> I've seen things like this happen with other software as well (details
>>> escape me at the moment), so the root cause may be outside TSVN.
>> This is done by the Scintilla control.
>> Since I don't have a dual-monitor setup to test this myself, please try
>> this:
>>
>> * Download SciTe from here: http://www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html
>
> Already had it. Version 1.70-wbd-1

Try version 1.76 - that's the version we use in TSVN now. The 1.4.x TSVN
version had I think version 1.72, so since it worked there I assume that
bug was introduced in between 1.72 and 1.76.

signature.asc

Andy Levy

Jun 26, 2008, 1:22:00 PM6/26/08
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org

Same results with 1.76. I unpacked the ZIP to its own directory,
started SCiTE, edited the global config as you suggested, restarted,
and the autocomplete window appeared directly under the text I was
entering.

Stefan Küng

Jun 26, 2008, 2:18:22 PM6/26/08
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org

Apparently, Scintilla *has* multi monitor support. But no way in the mak
file to enable it. The only way to enable it is to patch the build
files. And of course, apart from going through the sourcecode there's no
way to find out about that 'feature'.

Can you try the next nightly build and check whether the issue is fixed?
If it is, I'll backport my build patch to the 1.5.x branch.

signature.asc

Andy Levy

Jun 26, 2008, 2:40:39 PM6/26/08
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org

I can give it a shot. Will it upgrade my WC format (so I can roll back
to 1.5.0 once I've tested)?

Stefan Küng

Jun 26, 2008, 3:02:13 PM6/26/08
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org

The nightly build is right now still linked with Subversion 1.5.x, so
it's basically 1.5.0 with bugfixes.

signature.asc

Andy Levy

Jun 27, 2008, 8:40:28 AM6/27/08
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org

I've installed last night's nightly (13358) and the auto-complete pops
up exactly where one would expect it to.