TortoiseMerge 'ignore all whitespaces' should ignore blank lines

David Balažic

Jul 7, 2021, 5:22:26 AM7/7/21
to TortoiseSVN

Hi!

This has been brought up a decade ago, so I'll just repeat:

---
From: Ed Avis <eda_at_waniasset.com>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 08:43:49 +0000 (UTC)

Hi, the 'ignore all whitespaces' option in TortoiseMerge doesn't work as I would
expect, because it still shows differences where blank lines have been added or
removed. A blank line is also a form of whitespace so it should be ignored by
this option, IMHO. Alternatively a separate tickbox 'ignore blank lines' could
be added.

I'm using TortoiseSVN 1.5.0, Build 12786 - 32 Bit -RC1, 2008/04/26 10:25:37.

---

This is still the same in the latest version I have, which is:

TortoiseMerge 1.14.1, Build 29085 - 64 Bit , 2021/02/09 16:17:02
libsvn_diff 1.14.1,
apr 1.6.5
apr-util 1.6.1

Any chance this will be implemented/changed, please?

Regards,
David Balažic

Stefan

Jul 7, 2021, 1:35:51 PM7/7/21
to TortoiseSVN
Sorry, but that's not going to get implemented.
To ignore such changes, we'd have to actually remove all empty lines before doing the diff, then restore them again for showing. And since the diff is line based, this would cause all sorts of problems.

Phil Seakins

Jul 8, 2021, 6:41:18 AM7/8/21
to TortoiseSVN
WinMerge does what you want and is also free.

David Balažic

Sep 14, 2021, 1:17:22 PM9/14/21
to TortoiseSVN
Are you sure? I just tried version 2.16.14 and it shows this line as changed no matter what options I set:

< foo bar
> foo
>   bar

David Balažic

Sep 14, 2021, 1:18:57 PM9/14/21
to TortoiseSVN
PS: The above is not exactly the same as in the first post. But is still a (sadly common) "white space only" change that most tools display as a change.

David Balažic

Sep 18, 2021, 2:02:41 PM9/18/21
to TortoiseSVN on behalf of David Balažic
FYI, IntelliJ IDEA has a builtin file compare that does this.

On Tue, 14 Sept 2021 at 19:18, David Balažic via TortoiseSVN