ToirtoiseSVN and RiouxSvn server

Max Gaspa

Aug 28, 2022, 2:26:41 PM8/28/22
to TortoiseSVN
Dear All,

I'm using TSVN(latest version) with RiouxSvn server. In the past I had no issues but since few days I'm mo lomger able to use TSVN. The connections are slow and in some cases get stuck. For example the Repository Browser is shhowing the message

"Please wait while the repository browser is initializing"

After several minutes the window get frozen...

I read that the issue may be related to the number of threads opened invery short time. But it's just a guessing..

Is there anyboy using TSVN with RIOUX here? Any advice, suggestion....

Is it possible to reduce the number of cocnurent threads?

Obviously the Rioux server seems working...I can login using Firefox to my account.

I also imported several projects from Rioux to Github (using GitHub import facility) with no issue.

I also contacted the maintainers of teh Rioux server but I didn't get any replty.

Any help?

Thank you in advace for any attention.

Max

Daniel Sahlberg

Aug 28, 2022, 2:44:57 PM8/28/22
to TortoiseSVN
söndag 28 augusti 2022 kl. 20:26:41 UTC+2 skrev Max Gaspa:
Dear All,

I'm using TSVN(latest version) with RiouxSvn server. In the past I had no issues but since few days I'm mo lomger able to use TSVN. The connections are slow and in some cases get stuck. For example the Repository Browser is shhowing the message

"Please wait while the repository browser is initializing"

After several minutes the window get frozen...

I read that the issue may be related to the number of threads opened invery short time. But it's just a guessing..

Is there anyboy using TSVN with RIOUX here? Any advice, suggestion....

Is it possible to reduce the number of cocnurent threads?

A similar question was asked a while ago. Does the following help?

Kind regards
Daniel Sahlberg

Max Gaspa

Aug 28, 2022, 2:52:59 PM8/28/22
to TortoiseSVN

I read that message but the proposed solution didn't work. Thank you anyway.

Max

Max Gaspa

Aug 29, 2022, 4:54:44 PM8/29/22
to TortoiseSVN
I carried out some more testing.

Using the svn shell command everything seems OK. For example svndump.exe is dumping the repositories. So it is not (so it seems to me) an issue  in RiouxSvn server.

it is also possible to commit or checkout repositories using TortoiseSVN.

But as soon as I use the "Repository Browser" ( TortoiseSVN) the communication with the server get stuck.

For example using a batch command file that is dumping several repositories (shell command svnrdump dump) and observing the process everything works correctly, but as soon as I launch the "Repository Browser" on a repository both the "Repository Browser" get stuck and the batch command (running in the meantime) stops.

Then for an amount of time (I guess half an hour or longer) it is no longer possible to work with the RiouxSVN server, neither with TSVN nor with shell commands. After some hours both shell commands and TSVN (but not the "Repository Browser") work again.

My guess is that the "Repository Browser" may trigger some alarms in the server (possibly the server may recognize a denial of service attack) blocking further connections.May be too many connection in a short time....

It is possible to set TSVN to be less "aggressive" ?  Do you know whether the TSVN teams is following this mailing list?

Max

Daniel Sahlberg

Aug 30, 2022, 5:01:18 AM8/30/22
to TortoiseSVN
måndag 29 augusti 2022 kl. 22:54:44 UTC+2 skrev Max Gaspa:
[...]

Sounds reasonable, I just would like to add "...or somewhere else on the network between Repo browser and the server (including security software on your own computer)."

It is possible to set TSVN to be less "aggressive" ?  Do you know whether the TSVN teams is following this mailing list?

As far as I understand that is exactly what the previously linked setting is doing - not fetching a lot  of information at once in the background.

There is no "team" - just a group of individual programmers working on the software for fun. And yes, the active ones are surely following this list.

Kind regards,
Daniel