Bug: Windows 11 context menu doesn't work on shortcuts

Ashley Gullen

Mar 13, 2022, 1:48:01 PM3/13/22
to TortoiseSVN
Thanks for adding the Windows 11 context menu support. However it looks like it doesn't work on shortcuts.

On my desktop I have a shortcut to a folder with my SVN repo. Normally the context menu for the shortcut works the same as the context menu for the folder in File Explorer. The legacy context menu works as expected with the folder shortcut - i.e. first selecting 'Show more options' shows the old style menu with "Update", "Commit" etc.

However with the new Windows 11 context menu, the TortoiseSVN context menu for a folder shortcut just shows "Repo-browser" and "Settings". There is no "Update", "Commit" etc. These do appear if you right-click on the actual folder in File Explorer.

Can you make sure the Windows 11 context menu supports folder shortcuts? It worked with the old menu and it's a useful feature. Otherwise I still have to use the legacy menu, or keep opening File Explorer.

- Ashley

Ashley Gullen

Mar 15, 2022, 11:16:37 AM3/15/22
to TortoiseSVN
It also looks like the "Add" option is missing from the Windows 11 context menu, while it appears in the legacy menu. Is that an oversight?

Daniel Sahlberg

Mar 15, 2022, 11:24:21 AM3/15/22
to TortoiseSVN
tisdag 15 mars 2022 kl. 16:16:37 UTC+1 skrev Ashley Gullen:
It also looks like the "Add" option is missing from the Windows 11 context menu, while it appears in the legacy menu. Is that an oversight?

Have you checked TortoiseSVN, Settings? There is a separate entry for the Windows 11 context menu. I think I had to select Add there manually.

Kind regards,
Daniel

Ashley Gullen

Mar 21, 2022, 2:32:17 PM3/21/22
to TortoiseSVN
Ah, you're right, it can be added back in Settings. Thanks! However the original issue about not working with shortcuts remains.

Ashley Gullen

Sep 26, 2022, 10:40:21 AM9/26/22
to TortoiseSVN
The latest TortoiseSVN 1.14.5 release still has this bug on Windows 11 where it doesn't show the right menu on shortcut folders, whereas it used to work fine on Windows 10.

Is there any update on this? I literally run in to this several times a day and have to keep using "show more options" to get the old menu back.

Stefan

Sep 27, 2022, 2:25:35 PM9/27/22
to TortoiseSVN
On Monday, September 26, 2022 at 4:40:21 PM UTC+2 a...@scirra.com wrote:
The latest TortoiseSVN 1.14.5 release still has this bug on Windows 11 where it doesn't show the right menu on shortcut folders, whereas it used to work fine on Windows 10.

Is there any update on this? I literally run in to this several times a day and have to keep using "show more options" to get the old menu back.

you'll have to complain about this to MS. For the 'old' menu we get notified about right-click on the link target. But for the new menu we get only the shortcut path.

Ashley Gullen

Sep 28, 2022, 6:05:05 AM9/28/22
to TortoiseSVN
Ah OK, so it's an API change in Windows 11? Could it be worked around by checking if the path is a shortcut and then following the shortcut?