Feature improvement in Shelve dialog: select an existing shelf by default

Shawn W

Jun 5, 2024, 5:43:03 PMJun 5
to TortoiseSVN
I use the Shelve feature quite often, to back up the intermediate changes in my checkout.
1) in the shelf name dropdown / edit box, it is always empty at start.
Suggestion: should automatically select the latest updated shelf (or the only existing shelf).
Benefits: reduce manual effort in selecting from the dropdown, while most of the time I keep adding new revisions to the last-used shelf.
2) I tried command line like:
TortoiseProc.exe /command:shelve /path:"." /shelfname:"myshelf"
TortoiseProc.exe /command:shelve /path:"." /shelfname:myshelf
And the shelfname argument is ignored and not reflected in the UI.
Suggestion: support the shelfname parameter per the doc: https://tortoisesvn.net/docs/release/TortoiseSVN_en/tsvn-automation.html
Then at command line, the following command shows the existing shelves in old-to-new order, and the last one can be passed to TortoiseProc in the shelfname argument:
svn x-shelf-list -q
3) Shelve dialog selects the focus on the Shelve button by-default.
For me the Checkpoint button is used much often.
I do have multiple checkouts such that Shelve and reset is not necessary, while I can work on new changes in another repository.
Suggestion: add a new command line argument to allow selecting the Checkpoint button by default.

Best regards,
Shawn

Shawn W

Jun 5, 2024, 5:50:21 PMJun 5
to TortoiseSVN
BTW, Unshelve dialog has similar behavior in the shelf name dropdown / edit box. Yet it is much less used, and might not be worthy of making the improvement.