Assistance Required for Unversioned File Recovery

CAIYING CHAU

Jul 15, 2024, 1:33:38 AM (8 days ago) Jul 15
to TortoiseSVN
Hi ,

Recently, I attempted to clean up one of my checkout files on my desktop. However, after performing the action, all files on my desktop were cleaned up and deleted. Could you please advise if there is any way to recover these files from the SVN side, as the data was not backed up?

Additionally, I would like to inquire further about the clean-up action. Why did it affect other folders in the same location?

I hope you can provide a solution to resolve this issue. Thank you.

Best regards,
CaiYing

Daniel Sahlberg

Jul 15, 2024, 11:27:16 AM (7 days ago) Jul 15
to TortoiseSVN
måndag 15 juli 2024 kl. 07:33:38 UTC+2 skrev caiyin...@gmail.com:
Hi ,

Recently, I attempted to clean up one of my checkout files on my desktop. However, after performing the action, all files on my desktop were cleaned up and deleted. Could you please advise if there is any way to recover these files from the SVN side, as the data was not backed up?

Have you checked out a working copy directly IN your Desktop directory? (Opposed to in a subdirectory under Desktop).

Additionally, I would like to inquire further about the clean-up action. Why did it affect other folders in the same location?

Did you click the "Delete unversioned files and folders"? This will delete all files that are not under version control. They will be moved to the Recycle bin if possible (there is enough free space, the Recycle bin has not been disabled etc.).

I hope you can provide a solution to resolve this issue. Thank you.

Best regards,
CaiYing

Kind regards,
Daniel

CAIYING CHAU

Jul 16, 2024, 2:17:08 AM (7 days ago) Jul 16
to TortoiseSVN
Did you click the "Delete unversioned files and folders"? This will delete all files that are not under version control. They will be moved to the Recycle bin if possible (there is enough free space, the Recycle bin has not been disabled etc.).

Yes , I have clicked on it . But I thought it only applied to the unversioned file in the same folders instead of other folders in the same location. I have checked the recycle bin , but don't have any records inside it.

Daniel Sahlberg

Jul 16, 2024, 6:34:55 AM (7 days ago) Jul 16
to TortoiseSVN
tisdag 16 juli 2024 kl. 08:17:08 UTC+2 skrev caiyin...@gmail.com:
Did you click the "Delete unversioned files and folders"? This will delete all files that are not under version control. They will be moved to the Recycle bin if possible (there is enough free space, the Recycle bin has not been disabled etc.).

Yes , I have clicked on it . But I thought it only applied to the unversioned file in the same folders instead of other folders in the same location. I have checked the recycle bin , but don't have any records inside it.

Cleanup applies to the directory where you do the right click and any subdirectories. After cleanup you will get a message "Cleanup has successfully processed the following paths: XXX", where xxx is the complete path.

I have tested with a tree that looks like:

D:\
  +-- temp
         +-- wc  <= This is the working copy root
                +-- trunk
                +-- tags
                +-- branches

If I right-click the trunk directory, cleanup will only remove files in trunk. If I right-click wc it will remove files both in wc, trunk, tags and branches.

If the files are not in the Recycle bin, then they are lost, just as if you manually deleted them.

Kind regards,
Daniel

lorenz

Jul 17, 2024, 2:18:17 AM (6 days ago) Jul 17
to torto...@googlegroups.com
you perhaps ran into the following effect.

If you select a folder in the left hand panel of file explorer and
then right-click on a file/folder in the right hand panel, the focus
often stays on the folder selected in the left hand side panel and the
right-click context menu will act on this folder.
--

Lorenz