Very long Response with Commit since 3 weeks

Lars Schmidt

Sep 20, 2022, 5:56:06 AM9/20/22
to TortoiseSVN
Hello all,
before my vacation I have had for years no problems to update and commit sources from/to our SVN server using TortoiseSVN
After coming back I have had no access. I got the information, that the certificate of the Server (Win2008) is too old.
I have done following:
  • Deactivating vertification check for this server in Virus program
  • Set allowed certificat from 1.1 .. 1.4
After that I had access to SVN.
  • Update is running well
  • Show log need around three minutes until log is showed
  • Biggest trouble with Commit.
  • Sending needs around three minute/file
  • When sending is done, I can update the files immediately on an other PC
  • After further 4 minutes, Message is coming up "Commit failed. No such transaction"
  • But the files are correct on server side
  • Local files stayed in status "Modified"
  • After Update als files are "Merged" and new status is "Normal"
Has anyone an idea, where I can serach for the reason?

We will update the server, but in meantime I need access

Many thanks
Gerd

Stefan

Sep 21, 2022, 2:04:47 PM9/21/22
to TortoiseSVN
On Tuesday, September 20, 2022 at 11:56:06 AM UTC+2 larsnor...@googlemail.com wrote:
Hello all,
before my vacation I have had for years no problems to update and commit sources from/to our SVN server using TortoiseSVN
After coming back I have had no access. I got the information, that the certificate of the Server (Win2008) is too old.
I have done following:
  • Deactivating vertification check for this server in Virus program
depending on the virus program, this could be the reason that you see the slowdown: while verification is not done anymore, the virus program now does much more extensive checks on everything

  • Set allowed certificat from 1.1 .. 1.4
After that I had access to SVN.
  • Update is running well
  • Show log need around three minutes until log is showed
  • Biggest trouble with Commit.
  • Sending needs around three minute/file
  • When sending is done, I can update the files immediately on an other PC
  • After further 4 minutes, Message is coming up "Commit failed. No such transaction"
  • But the files are correct on server side
  • Local files stayed in status "Modified"
  • After Update als files are "Merged" and new status is "Normal"
Has anyone an idea, where I can serach for the reason?

We will update the server, but in meantime I need access

what kind of authentication/authorization are you using? If you're using windows authentication (i.e. using your windows logon credentials), then windows itself is the culprit: I'm guessing your client OS is at least Win10, so doing authentication with outdated protocols like Win2008 uses is now very, very slow because windows does additional checks due to the insecurities in the old protocol.
And since every connection requires authentication, this slowdown accumulates for each svn operation you do.
Not much you can do about that though...

Lars Schmidt

Sep 21, 2022, 2:51:33 PM9/21/22
to TortoiseSVN
Hello Stefan,

it's not the normal domain user login. We have on the SVN server an own logon. Not sure, if this is the reason.
But what I can say:
A colleague who is in the company domain don't has the problem
I'm not a domain user and I have the problem.
If I'm working in the company, I'm connected via guest LAN and there I need VPN to connect to SVN server. If I'm working from home, I can work with VPN but I can also work without.
In all cases the Commit is slow.

And as I said. Beginning of August anything was fine. Since end of August I have this problem. Our IT says, that they have nothing changed.

regards
Gerd