Question about Versioning-Scheme

Tuxedo Penguen

Nov 2, 2023, 6:43:12 AM11/2/23
to TortoiseSVN-dev
Hi TortoiseSVN Devs

I noticed that the TSVN releases are announced on the website according to a different versioning scheme than i have in the download and also in Registry.

On the website on the newest Version i have:
1.14.5 (Major.Minor.Patch?)

On the download i get:

1.14.5.29465 (Major.Minor.Patch.Build?)

After installation in the Registry (DisplayVersion):
1.14.29465 (Major.Minor.Build?)

Since I would like to make TortoiseSVN available on the company portal (via Intune), I have to be careful with the version numbers and detection rules, otherwise I will have problems when a new version is released and I want to supersede the previous one.

So my question would be whether i can rely (at least in the registry) that also in future releases the same "Scheme" is used (like 1.14.29465) or if that might change.

Kind regards,

Stefan

Nov 2, 2023, 6:59:58 AM11/2/23
to TortoiseSVN-dev
On Thursday, November 2, 2023 at 11:43:12 AM UTC+1 Tuxedo Penguen wrote:
Hi TortoiseSVN Devs

I noticed that the TSVN releases are announced on the website according to a different versioning scheme than i have in the download and also in Registry.

On the website on the newest Version i have:
1.14.5 (Major.Minor.Patch?)

On the download i get:

1.14.5.29465 (Major.Minor.Patch.Build?)

yes, that's the build number.

After installation in the Registry (DisplayVersion):
1.14.29465 (Major.Minor.Build?)

you can thank msi for that. You see, while msi does have four-number versions, the fourth number is completely ignored. That would not be a problem if we only had the official releases. But we also have the nightly build where only the build number increases. And if we would use the same versioning scheme for msi that would mean msi would not detect that the nightly build has a higher version than the already installed one.
So for the msi (and what you call registry) we use Major.Minor.Build because the Build (actually the svn revision number) always increases, and thus msi can properly detect newer versions and do an upgrade.

Stefan

Tuxedo Penguen

Nov 2, 2023, 7:33:45 AM11/2/23
to TortoiseSVN-dev
Hi Stefan

Thanks for the Information. :-)

I currently use the "DisplayVersion" property in the Uninstall Hive as "Detection Method" in Intune and do a Version Compare on that value:
2023-11-02 12_03_10-Window.png

2023-11-02 12_11_12-Window.png

We will not use nighly's and pre-releases here but only stables. Whether or not the versioning schemes are identical is not that relevant for what i'd like to do.
That it stays consistent (at least in the registry) rather, because I would propably get issues if it suddenly changes from 3 digits to 4 digits between 2 releases for example.

By the way...
A few days ago I successfully tested the Supersedence of TortoiseSVN 1.10.5 by TortoiseSVN 1.14.5 in Intune using detection rules with version comparison like in the above screenshots and it worked smoothly. :-)

2023-11-02 12_27_03-Window.png

Thank you guys.
Donation is on its way :-)