patch to run tortoise-svn-commands with UAC elevation

Matthias

Jan 7, 2021, 12:51:50 PM1/7/21
to TortoiseSVN-dev

I tried to post this already, I could not find it afterward. So if this message is duplcated, pardon me please.

I would like to solve ab problem and have created a patch for it as basis for discussions.

The problem, it can be reproduced the following way:
- Windows with activated User Acces Control
- local workspace, wich is checked out by someon else, eg. the admin.
- you have insufficient rights to change files or the workspace metadata (.svn folder)
- starting a TortoiseSvn-Operation by shell context menu, wich needs to write someting to the workspace or workspace-meta-DB (.svn-Folder)

Result:
operations fails with error messages. (for example "Can't add files to ignore list")
Starting explorer in admin mode does not help. Shell context menu commands will nevertheless run in lower prileges. I'm not sure why, but I guess this is because TortoiseSvn-Shell starts TortoiseSvnProc as a new proccess.

Workaround:
You can start another tool, e.g. Notepad++ in Adminstrator mode and perform the operations in its file dialog. (e.g. in "Save file as..")
But this is very annoying because this means a lot of extra clicks. If you forget it your operations fails. You might have do execute cleanup...

My Idea:
Enhance TortoiseSvn with a special mode, that executes all relevant commands with UAC elevation.
The mode can be activated in TortoiseSvn-Advanced Settings. ("ElevateUACForLocalWorkspace")

The patch file is based on the current trunk. (r29048)
Where can I upload the patch?

Matthias

Jan 7, 2021, 12:59:39 PM1/7/21
to TortoiseSVN-dev