How can I config to use my customized diff3 program for a specific type of file (e.g. all ".dtxml" files)

bingsheng xue

Mar 23, 2022, 6:34:59 AM3/23/22
to TortoiseSVN-dev
Hi,

I want to always use my own diff3 program only for "*.dtxml" files, but I can't find any way to config that. My diff3 program is only able to merge my "*.dtxml" files and not able to merge any other types of files.

For now, if I want to update a folder that contains several types of files, I can only use "svn update" command to update them using the default internal diff3 program for all files, or I can use "svn update --diff3-cmd myprogram.exe" to update them all using my diff3 program (which would cause a problem if there are other types of files).

(Note: The DIFF-VIEWER or MERGE-TOOL advanced settings in Tortoise are not able to do this work. They are only previewing GUI programs and only run when you click the modified/conflicted file status row in the TortoiseSVN window.)

Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you all!

bingsheng xue

Mar 23, 2022, 6:37:12 AM3/23/22
to TortoiseSVN-dev

Another problem is that I cannot specify the diff3 program when I merge revisions containing ".dtxml" files between branches. The TortoiseSVN seems to use the default diff3 program to merge my revisions, which is fine but not as good as my own program.

bingsheng xue

Mar 29, 2022, 4:04:49 AM3/29/22
to TortoiseSVN-dev
Can any developers help me please?

Stefan

Mar 29, 2022, 1:47:36 PM3/29/22
to TortoiseSVN-dev
what you want isn't possible by just configuring svn.
But you can write a script that acts as a diff3 tool and then calls different diff3 tools according to the file extension.

But this is not really related to TSVN but to svn in general, so you should ask on the subversion users list for help about this.

lorenz

Mar 30, 2022, 7:58:05 AM3/30/22
to tortois...@googlegroups.com
This question was ask in the user list already.
And answered similar 8-)

The remaining problem most likely is how to fall back to the svn
internal diff3 for files taht need no special handling
--

Lorenz