Drop translated documentation

Daniel Sahlberg

Nov 20, 2023, 4:56:49 AM11/20/23
to TortoiseSVN-dev
Hi,

A little over two years ago Stefan sent a message on the user list [1] about usage of the translated documentation. It only got a single response (from me).

The translation of the documentation is done using a Python2 script with a script that seems obsolete (xml2po, depending on an external library libxml that doesn't seem to exist in Python3). It is non-trivial to rewrite the script to Python3 using the available XML processing modules (etree, minidom, sax).

This script keeps us from migrating the build tool chain to Python3.

Since there seems to be limited interest in the translated documentation, I'm proposing:
- To drop translated documentation from the build scripts.
- To delete the translated docs from the repository: Languages/[langcode]/TortoiseDoc.po and doc/images/[langcode] comes to mind, possibly others.
- To remove the "Manual" translations from Transiffex
- To reorganise the website and move the translated manuals to a separate "translated manuals for older versions".

Anything else to be done?

Kind regards,
Daniel Sahlberg

Stefan

Nov 20, 2023, 1:23:55 PM11/20/23
to TortoiseSVN-dev
On Monday, November 20, 2023 at 10:56:49 AM UTC+1 daniel.l...@gmail.com wrote:
Hi,

A little over two years ago Stefan sent a message on the user list [1] about usage of the translated documentation. It only got a single response (from me).

The translation of the documentation is done using a Python2 script with a script that seems obsolete (xml2po, depending on an external library libxml that doesn't seem to exist in Python3). It is non-trivial to rewrite the script to Python3 using the available XML processing modules (etree, minidom, sax).

This script keeps us from migrating the build tool chain to Python3.

Since there seems to be limited interest in the translated documentation, I'm proposing:
- To drop translated documentation from the build scripts.
- To delete the translated docs from the repository: Languages/[langcode]/TortoiseDoc.po and doc/images/[langcode] comes to mind, possibly others.

doc/xsl/[langcode]

- To remove the "Manual" translations from Transiffex
- To reorganise the website and move the translated manuals to a separate "translated manuals for older versions".

I suggest to update the website with the next release. No need to remove the translated docs now between releases.

And once that's done, don't forget to migrate to python3 :)

Daniel Sahlberg

Dec 3, 2023, 4:09:32 PM12/3/23
to TortoiseSVN-dev
Thanks for going ahead with this, I've checked and all looks good to me. I updated build.txt as well.

A few nits:

r29640 removed the call to unix2dos from doc.build. I can't find it being used elsewhere, unless I'm missing something we could probably remove that EXE from the repo.

r29641 removed the includes of translations-docs.html except for one instance in the support.zh.html. Was that intentional? I can find no other reference to that file so if the last include is removed, the file can probably go as well.

Kind regards,
Daniel

Stefan

Dec 5, 2023, 3:31:22 PM12/5/23
to TortoiseSVN-dev
On Sunday, December 3, 2023 at 10:09:32 PM UTC+1 daniel.l...@gmail.com wrote:

Thanks for going ahead with this, I've checked and all looks good to me. I updated build.txt as well.

A few nits:

r29640 removed the call to unix2dos from doc.build. I can't find it being used elsewhere, unless I'm missing something we could probably remove that EXE from the repo.

r29641 removed the includes of translations-docs.html except for one instance in the support.zh.html. Was that intentional? I can find no other reference to that file so if the last include is removed, the file can probably go as well.

thanks for noticing.
Fixed in r 29651