Since which version release builds of TortoiseSVN have IPv6 enabled?

Pavel Lyalyakin

Jan 31, 2022, 11:08:21 AM1/31/22
to tortois...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Since which version release builds of TortoiseSVN have IPv6 enabled?

As far as I recall, IPv6 was enabled only in dev builds some time ago. But not in release builds. I don't see anything relevant in changelog.

--
With best regards,
Pavel Lyalyakin

Stefan

Jan 31, 2022, 11:47:25 AM1/31/22
to TortoiseSVN-dev
the ipv6 versions are always built, don't know exactly since which version but it's been years....
they're not linked directly from the homepage, but you can get them from the files section:

Pavel Lyalyakin

Jan 31, 2022, 11:57:37 AM1/31/22
to TortoiseSVN-dev on behalf of Stefan
Thank you for your response. But TortoiseSVN 1.14.1 version from the Download page seems to have IPv6 enabled:
[[[
TortoiseSVN 1.14.1, Build 29085 - 64 Bit , 2021/02/09 16:17:02
ipv6 enabled
]]]

I see that IPv6 is enabled when I install this build. Does this sound right?

Stefan

Jan 31, 2022, 12:11:59 PM1/31/22
to TortoiseSVN-dev
On Monday, January 31, 2022 at 5:57:37 PM UTC+1 Pavel Lyalyakin wrote:
Thank you for your response. But TortoiseSVN 1.14.1 version from the Download page seems to have IPv6 enabled:
[[[
TortoiseSVN 1.14.1, Build 29085 - 64 Bit , 2021/02/09 16:17:02
ipv6 enabled
]]]

I see that IPv6 is enabled when I install this build. Does this sound right?

not really, no.
That build does not have ipv6 enabled, i.e. the sockets are not created as ipv6. However if your network stack is not pure ipv6 (which most aren't for compatibility reasons), then even this build works with ipv6.
See here for such hybrid stacks:

The reason for a separate build is that the ipv6 build first always tries with an ipv6 socket. Which causes a second (fallback) try with ipv4 if ipv6 fails. At least in the first builds (as mentioned before: years ago) this lead to a noticeable slowdown for every connection.
For most operations this isn't an issue, but in the repo browser where hundreds of connections can be made, this would be very noticeable.

Pavel Lyalyakin

Jan 31, 2022, 6:15:32 PM1/31/22
to TortoiseSVN-dev on behalf of Stefan
Got it. Thank you for the explanation and the link.