Using ssh-agent instead of pageant as authentication helper

kai.w...@gmail.com

May 9, 2016, 3:02:04 AM5/9/16
to tortoisegit-users
When using ssh.exe from the "git for Windows" installation as SSH client, the proposed answer to this (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13516119/tortoisegit-with-openssh-key-not-authenticating-using-ssh-agent?rq=1) Stackoverflow question states that TortoiseGit needs no further tweaking to pick up a running instance off ssh-agent as authentication helper.

Is this still true?

Using lastest 64 bit versions of TortoiseGit, git for Windows and Windows 10 Enterprise here.
No matter what I try TortoiseGit keeps asking for private key pasword on any connection made to the repository server.

Tried:
starting ssh-agend from git Bash,
starting ssh-agent from Windows Command prompt using the included start-ssh-agent.cmd,
added HOME to System Environment variables
Made sure via Task Manager that there's only one instance of ssh-agent running.

Is there anything else I need to do to get this working? Or does it perhaps not work on 64 bit systems?

P.S. When converting the private key to putty format and switching the SSH Client to TortoiseGitPlink as a workaround, pageant will take over and do the trick.
But I'd rather use a "clean" SSH installation and not two different keys and two different SSH implementations.

Kind regards

Kai Michael Wadsack

matthew.j...@gmail.com

May 15, 2016, 11:33:59 PM5/15/16
to tortoisegit-users, kai.w...@gmail.com
I'm having the same issue - I have tried everything, and TortoiseGit just doesn't appear to be talking to the ssh-agent

benw...@gmail.com

Sep 18, 2017, 6:16:24 AM9/18/17
to tortoisegit-users
Why does nobody has an answer to this? :(

Matt D.

Nov 9, 2017, 6:07:18 PM11/9/17
to tortoisegit-users
If there is an issue with your ssh-agent communicating with your ssh client then it's a problem with your configuration. TortoiseGit is not responsible for this type of authentication.

Make sure that the SSH_AUTH_SOCK and SSH_AGENT_PID environment variables provided by your ssh-agent server are configured properly; otherwise there is no way for ssh to know where the authentication server is listening.

To reiterate, issues with ssh-agent/ssh authentication is a configuration problem and is not controlled by TortoiseGit.

Takeyoshi Kobayashi

Mar 7, 2024, 12:02:40 AMMar 7
to tortoisegit-users
Hey Kai,