git diff shows no modified files but TortoiseGit->Diff shows ALL files as modified.

remi...@gmail.com

Dec 16, 2014, 7:18:49 PM12/16/14
to tortoise...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure why, but using TortoiseGit->Diff from a Windows Explorer window shows every file as being modified even when none in the directory has changed.  A command line call to 'git diff' in that same directory shows no modified files, but running TortoiseGit->Diff brings up a dialog box with a list of all the files in that directory and sub-directories and indicates that all these files have been modified.

Here is an example, of the statistics that one of these diff dialog boxes shows: 'line: 0(+) 0(-) files: normal=0, non-versioned=0, modified=42, added=0, deleted=0, conflicted=0'  As you can see, TortoiseGit->Diff knows that nothing in the files has changes but it is convinced they've all been modified.

This behavior is consistent across any git repo that I'm working on or even just any repo I clone from GitHub.

Here is the version I'm using on Windows 7

TortoiseGit 1.8.11.0 (C:\Program Files\TortoiseGit\bin\)
git version 2.1.0 (C:\cygwin64\bin)

remi...@gmail.com

Dec 16, 2014, 7:53:21 PM12/16/14
to tortoise...@googlegroups.com, remi...@gmail.com
Looks like the problem was that I was using CygWin git and not "Git for Windows" git.  Once I installed Git for Windows and redirected TortoiseGit to it, the problem went away.

Shaul Fridman

May 12, 2022, 4:00:48 PM5/12/22
to tortoisegit-users
Many Many Many thanks :-)

John Emmas

May 13, 2022, 3:01:42 AM5/13/22
to tortoise...@googlegroups.com, Shaul Fridman
I see this from time-to-time and even re-booting doesn't cure it.  But what does work here for me is to open Task Manager and select 'Processes' (that's under Windows 7). Then locate the process called 'TGitCache.exe' and end the process. Next time I launch Windows Explorer TGitCache will start itself up again except that this time, only the modified files are shown modified.  Hope that helps...

John