Two-Step authentication difficulty using TortoiseGit

mark.l...@gmail.com

May 29, 2020, 10:05:05 AM5/29/20
to tortoisegit-users
I am using TortoiseGIT 2.10.02.

I am accessing my repo on GitHub via HTTPS and have a _netrc file setup on my computer with my username and password.

Everything works get until I enabled Two-Step authentication on GitHUB. After doing that, when doing a push TortoiseGIT  reports an error "Report: invalid username or password"

Does anyone know of a way to use TortoiseGIT with GitHub using Two-Step authentication?

Thanks much for any advice anyone may have!

Sven Strickroth

May 29, 2020, 6:20:38 PM5/29/20
to tortoise...@googlegroups.com, mark lemmert
Hi,

Am 29.05.2020 um 16:05 schrieb mark.l...@gmail.com:
> I am using TortoiseGIT 2.10.02.
>
> I am accessing my repo on GitHub via HTTPS and have a _netrc file setup
> on my computer with my username and password.
>

> Everything works get until I enabled Two-Step authentication on GitHUB.
> After doing that, when doing a push TortoiseGIT  reports an error
> "Report: invalid username or password"

You need to use a token (cf.
<https://help.github.com/en/github/authenticating-to-github/accessing-github-using-two-factor-authentication#using-two-factor-authentication-with-the-command-line>).

--