FAQ suggestion for using putty with git cli

David Ching

Apr 26, 2022, 1:30:13 PM4/26/22
to tortoisegit-dev
Hello, I posted this to tortoisegit-users but it might be more relevant here.

https://tortoisegit.org/support/faq/#howputtygitcli currently says

Create an environment variable called "GIT_SSH" with the path to the PuTTY plink.exe or preferably to TortoiseGitPLink.exe. This can be done on the command line by executing "set GIT_SSH=PATH_TO_PLINK.EXE" ("C:\Program Files\TortoiseGit\bin\TortoiseGitPLink.exe" on default installations)

I followed this suggestion and set

    set GIT_SSH="C:\Program Files\TortoiseGit\bin\TortoisePlink.exe"

However, for me with Git for Windows (version 2.35.3.windows.1) installed on Windows 10, this causes the error

    c:\Src> git clone g...@gitlab.mycompany.com:myproject/myrepo.git

    error: cannot spawn "C:\Program Files\TortoiseGit\bin\TortoiseGitPlink.exe": Permission denied

The fix for me was to follow a suggestion in https://www.jitendrazaa.com/blog/others/tips/fix-git-errors-permission-denied-and-cannot-spawn/

    set GIT_SSH=TortoisePlink.exe

I suggest the FAQ be updated accordingly.

Thanks,
David