Switching from password access to SSH

jo...@creativepost.co.uk

May 7, 2021, 8:51:44 AM5/7/21
to tortoisegit-dev
This probably needed to go in tortoisegit-users but I can't find it on Google groups. Feel free to move it if that helps.

Basically, I have some git repos hosted at github. Up to now, I've been able to push to the repos via a user name and password - but github is apparently moving to SSH access only. I have my SSH key (.pub file?) as well as a Putty key (.ppk file) and I've registered the .pub file with github.

IIUC I now need to add the Putty key to my local TortoiseGit project (which I've done under Settings->Git->Remote. But when I try to push that repo, I'm still getting asked for a user name and password. Is that github's fault - or something I need to change in my TortoiseGit settings?

jo...@creativepost.co.uk

May 7, 2021, 12:08:11 PM5/7/21
to tortoisegit-dev
Ignore this - it turned out that as well as adding my Putty key etc, I also needed to switch the upstream repo to use a different URL. Adding that extra change has fixed it.