FW: Wildfire smoke, heatwaves, and volunteers

torontourbangrowers

May 28, 2024, 4:08:44 PMMay 28
to toronto-ur...@googlegroups.com

-------- Original message --------
From: Rachel Lissner <rachel....@gmail.com>
Date: 2024-05-28 3:49 p.m. (GMT-05:00)
Subject: Wildfire smoke, heatwaves, and volunteers

Hi everyone,

With summer around the corner, I want to prepare for the possibility of wildfire smoke returning to Toronto. I'm trying to come up with a comprehensive weather policy that we can easily and definitively communicate to our variety of stakeholders, particularly keen volunteers who aren't always accessible by phone or email.

Do you have something you could share with me? How do you navigate weather reports?

We operate strictly outside and do not have access to any buildings for AC, shade, or water. We are either onsite (in someone's yard) or not happening.

Thank you,
Rachel

Marc Green

May 28, 2024, 6:06:43 PMMay 28
to torontour...@gmail.com, Toronto Urban Growers
This is a very good question. I’m going to pose similar to my Landscape Ontario peers and see what I get back.

Marc Green (he/him)
VP Operations
The Backyard Urban Farm Company
(416) 450-3899 (cell)

Email sig new logo reduced.pdf

rita....@icloud.com

May 29, 2024, 1:09:10 AMMay 29
to torontour...@gmail.com, toronto-ur...@googlegroups.com
The four people I would want to consult, for starters, for a good, honest, open discussion of this are:

1/ Dr. Mili Roy
with Ontario Climate Emergency Campaign and Canadian Association of Physicians for the Environment
2/ Dr. Samantha Green
 with Canadian Association of Physicians for the Environment
3/ Jennifer Penney
who worked with MP Peter Tabuns to draw up the recently tabled
Ontario Climate Change Adaptation and Resilience Act   Bill 198
Private member’s bill 198 was released May 16, 2024 by Climate and Energy Critic Peter Tabuns. The bill “lays out a sweeping strategy to strengthen Ontario’s response to climate change impacts. Read more here, courtesy of the National Observer, and here, courtesy of The Energy Mix.

4/ Councillor Dianne Saxe   council...@toronto.ca
ardent proponent of climate action, former Environment Commissioner of Ontario, pre-Ford

They would be knowledgeable, articulate, engaged. We should organize a public panel to air these very real timely concerns.

5/ A large body of research took place at York University:  Work in a Warming World   https://yorkspace.library.yorku.ca/collections/3826cb34-bd9b-44f9-b7c5-7255204390af

Perhaps the main organizer may be reached and asked about these concerns.

Rita

To reply or post to this group, send email to toronto-ur...@googlegroups.com

Questions?
You can reach us at in...@torontourbangrowers.org

Mailing address
c/o Greenest City
220 Cowan Avenue
Toronto, Ontario
M6K 2N6
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Toronto Urban Growers" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/toronto-urban-growers/665639c7.050a0220.edf8f.e541%40mx.google.com.