job posting - Community Engagement Coordinator Toronto Metropolitan University Farm

Toronto Urban Growers

May 9, 2022, 4:22:36 PM5/9/22
to Toronto Urban Growers

About the job

About Ryerson

At the intersection of mind and action, Ryerson is on a transformative path to become Canada’s leading comprehensive innovation university. Integral to this path is the placement of equity, diversity and inclusion as fundamental to our institutional culture. Our current academic plan outlines each as core values and we work to embed them in all that we do.

Ryerson University welcomes those who have demonstrated a commitment to upholding the values of equity, diversity, and inclusion and will assist us to expand our capacity for diversity in the broadest sense. In addition, to correct the conditions of disadvantage in employment in Canada, we encourage applications from members of groups that have been historically disadvantaged and marginalized, including First Nations, Metis and Inuit peoples, Indigenous peoples of North America, racialized persons, persons with disabilities, and those who identify as women and/or 2SLGBTQ+. Please note that all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, applications from Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.

In August 2021, the university announced that it would begin a renaming process to address the legacy of Egerton Ryerson for a more inclusive future. Let's write the next chapter together. To learn more about our work environment, colleagues, leaders, students and innovative educational environment, visit www.ryerson.ca, check out @RyersonU, @RyersonHR and @RyersonECI on Twitter, and visit our LinkedIn company page.

About Ryerson Urban Farm

Ryerson Urban Farm (RUF) aims to build capacity for rooftop farming through production, research and engagement. RUF operates productive growing spaces across the Ryerson University campus using ecological growing methods to provide fresh food for the community. Our operations incorporate research across disciplines and educational programming for our surrounding community on campus and beyond.

The Opportunity

The Community Engagement Coordinator plans, develops, implements and evaluates inclusive programs that engage a broad range of participants and communities. Coordinates outreach opportunities to connect with communities and build strong partnerships; develops, implements and maintains a data collection system to track participation and feedback; provides analytical and knowledge based support during the strategic planning process for the Urban Farm.

Qualifications

To help us learn more about you, please provide a cover letter and resume outlining how you meet the following specific qualifications:
  • Completion of a diploma in Garden Design or equivalent education in the field of ecological farming or sustainable agriculture.
  • Heights Training Certificate is an asset.
  • Minimum of 3 years experience in an urban farm setting organizing and administering events.
  • Proven experience working in an ecological farm setting is required.
  • Knowledge in urban agriculture, green infrastructure, sustainability, and ecology.
  • Familiarity with green roof technology and maintenance.
  • Experience with leading participants in a variety of programs, workshops and speaking engagements to educate the community on Urban Farm initiatives.
  • Ability to develop a range of communications materials to support internal and external audiences
  • Strong interpersonal skills with an ability to work in a cooperative, diverse team environment along with building positive relationships with participants, communities and stakeholders.
  • Strong client service skills with an ability to build good relations and support diverse groups in achieving common goals.
  • Excellent oral and written communication skills are required.
  • Must be comfortable working in an office setting and outdoors at both the rooftop and ground levels, with exposure to the physical elements of soil, dust, wind, sun, rain, and snow. Working conditions may include heat, cold, wet, humid, and/or arid conditions.
  • Familiarity with Google Suites products (Google Calendar, Gmail) and Microsoft Suites (Excel, Word, Power Point).
Additional Information

Position Number(s)

20003565

Reports To

Urban Farm Manager

Vacancy Type

Term

Employee Group

OPSEU

ASAP

End Date

1 year from the start date

Hours of Work

36.25 hours per week.

The incumbent may be required to work evenings and weekends for special events and as necessary.

Appropriate notice will be provided as stated in the collective agreement.

Work Location

Hybrid

Grade and Step

10

Salary Scale

$62,262.26 - $74,344.40

Deadline to Apply

May 12, 2022

Notes
  • Applicants who do not meet all of the posted qualifications may, upon the University’s sole discretion, be considered to fill a vacancy on an underfill basis.
  • Candidates may be asked to demonstrate qualifications through occupational testing as a first step in the evaluation process prior to being granted an interview.
  • Candidates must have a demonstrated record of dependability/reliability and a commitment to maintain confidentiality.
  • Applications can only be accepted online through the Ryerson Career Opportunities page.
We encourage all First Nations, Metis and Inuit peoples or Indigenous peoples of North America, to self-identify in their applications and also reach out to Tracey King, Indigenous Human Resources Lead for support during the selection process.

As part of the selection process, candidates may be required to complete an occupational assessment.

Applications will only be accepted online through Ryerson's careersite https://www.ryerson.ca/careers/.

Ryerson University is committed to the principles of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), and aims to ensure that independence, dignity, integration and equality of opportunity are embedded in all aspects of the university culture.

We will provide an accessible experience for applicants, students, employees, and members of the Ryerson community.We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, beginning with the recruitment process. If you have restrictions that need to be accommodated to fully participate in any phase of the recruitment process, please contact h...@ryerson.ca. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.

Please watch a message from Ryerson's Vice President, Equity and Community Inclusion for more information on our commitment to equity.

Important Notice Re: Job Postings during COVID-19

Following the advice of government and health authorities to slow the spread of COVID-19, all employees have been equipped to work from home until further notice. New employees will also work from home with the exception of those who have been deemed 'essential' and are required to be on campus. All recruiting activities including interviews and onboarding are being conducted virtually.

To protect the health and safety of community members on campus and to comply with the recommendations from public health authorities and requirements of the provincial government, Ryerson, like other post-secondary institutions in Ontario, will require employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and submit proof of vaccination.