DOWNTOWN KIDS-RUN FOOD GARDEN + FARMER'S MARKET SEEKING SUPPORT

Jai Smith

Jan 27, 2023, 1:57:48 AM1/27/23
to Toronto Urban Growers
Eden Place Kids Garden is an interactive experience for youth to learn the basics of landscaping and how to grow food in your own garden. The youth in my co-op aged 1-12 (Erika, Jeremiah, Kadon, Aiden, Theo, Sayuri, Attila, Yemaya, Aniyah, Adriana and others showed up every week this summer to plan, cultivate and create their Garden and Farmer's Market. Completely self-funded- we lead a fun, educational and informative garden project for the kids of the community. Together, we planted over 20 different types of flowers, sunflower seeds, various herbs, tomato plants, cucumber, carrot, lettuce, pepper, and beans! The kids reported feeling accomplished and proud that they were able to grow their own food, sell it to their neighbours and of course... make their own pizza with their own ingredients!

Every Sunday in the spring/summer months the kids of the community gather in our garden plot and garden together. We start by listening to music, checking in with each other and talking about our week. In conjunction with educating the youth on gardening skills, I teach them about business planning, confidence and marketing skills. They design their own signage, count and manage their sales and revenue and organize every week for their mobile marketplace that takes place in the late afternoon in our neighbourhood Kensington Market.

This year we need:
Seeds and seedlings, farmer's market supplies, food and snacks for garden club, infrastructure for taking money from customers (cash and debit).

Thank you!

Please contact
or