Re: invasive tree root growth FOLLOW UP

Marilyn Gang

Feb 1, 2023, 12:21:51 PM2/1/23
to TUG

  Hello TUG'ers - thank you for your comments about the invasive tree root growth.
  I sent them to my friend, here is her answer.
  This list put a lot of time, effort and thought into the problem, however it looks as if we do not - yet - have a solution:

     " Thank you for asking re garden root system.   The tree cost me a lot of money was my favourite and nobody at the nursery that I bought it at told me this could happen.  When I went back to complain they said they never heard of this issue before regarding this tree - I believe they were not telling me the
truth, or, more likely, they were ignorant about it.
    Then one clerk there did a search for me on some garden site -  And it said! right there!   That YES!  others were dealing with same issue .

   The tree is called purple leaf sandcherry
   Here is the link for the tree itself.   This is not the link that describes the problems

    Thank you so much for the info you sent me and comments from your colleagues.   With regard to the essential oils, I have tried them often - and yes, have followed the suggestions of experts - but have never had successful experiences with them.

     Yes I do have round up which I bought here and I did check it does have glyphosate, but I think there must be some other ingredient in the US one, which is not in Canada, since it did nothing.    I paint it only on shoots, yes, it does something to them but not to the root system.
      According to one youtube video garden expert he said to use only a paint brush.  To  paint the top of shoots and it will eventually make its way to root system and kill it off.
     My helper told me they took an ingredient out of the Canadian roundup, and he know what he is doing.
     I paid a fortune to dig up 300 sq feet of soil, one foot deep, the worst of the shoots are out, but the spread is so extensive that it is way past digging capacity, and there is so much soil at the back I have no place else to put it and there is still more to dig up around the house. "

     thank you again,
        - Marilyn -