Looking for suggestions for creating subscription based access to monthly publication (pdf files)

Jack

Feb 1, 2016, 8:19:12 PM2/1/16
to Joomla User Group Toronto/GTA
I am a volunteer web-guy with a non-profit.  Our nonprofit currently has a monthly (hard-copy) news-magazine and is considering also offering annual subscribers with immediate access to a pdf version of the news-magazine.This would be offered at a reduced annual rate versus the hard-copy.

As such, I'd be interested in anyone's real-life experience with a Joomla extension that could manage the (annual) subscriptions (we have PayPal for other publications/merchandise) and straight-forward (immediate) access to the pdfs, but obviously only to active subscribers.

I've researched a little and found a Subscription Manager on http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/extension/e-commerce/membership-a-subscriptions/subscription-manager  It is a paid subscription but with only 4 reviews, it's pretty hard to judge with much confidence to this specific extension's real-world operation/success.

I imagine the monthly pdf files uploaded and only available to active subscribers who can download the pdf pretty much the instant the pdf file is uploaded.  But I am open to best practices here.

We are currently running Joomla 3.4.x

Thoughts/comments welcome.

Jack

Alan Langford

Feb 2, 2016, 11:39:05 AM2/2/16
to Joomla User Group Toronto/GTA
Despite the dire warnings of no support, Akeeba Subscriptions is the most popular. The lack of support isn't because it doesn't work, but because Nicholas got tired of endless questions about customization, so he stopped offering support just to stem the flow. If you find and report a real bug, it will likely get fixed. I've used it in a few sites with no issues.