Invitation to Meeting - Collaborating to Celebrate Disability March 7, 2013

stephanie.wolkin

Feb 27, 2013, 6:50:00 PM2/27/13
to toronto-disa...@googlegroups.com
Dear Community Member:

The disability rights movement in Toronto has a long and eventful history, dotted over time with both great successes and difficult challenges. While the disability community has many positives, and great organizations working within it, it is fractured in many ways. There are a multitude of events, but no overarching movement. This is not the fault of any of us working for the benefit of people with disabilities. It is, instead, a symptom of the broad nature of disability, and the pressing nature of many different disability issues that compete for our attention.

What is missing from the movement is a unified celebration of disability. We see the need for a celebration in Toronto that removes all the limitations caused by differences among disabilities and organizations. This celebration, consisting of one single or multiple related events, would bring together everyone interested in disability, as well as community members who have not yet been introduced to the movement. The main purpose of this event is simple; to celebrate the identity of disability and to present a positive image of disability in Toronto.

This celebration event would not be an extension of any current event or programming, nor would it be linked to any one organization, but would rather be a new and entirely unique event. While this may seem like a step back to some, we firmly believe that starting fresh is the only way that such an event will work. By removing any previous ties, this event can become truly unique and can grow at its own pace. Whatever form the event might take, it will be created from the ground up with the approval and participation of as many stakeholders in the disability community as possible.

The idea is to create a collective. This collective, made up of both individuals and organizations, would come together under the umbrella of "Celebrating Disability". In this way, a new and bold event can be developed and brought to life that is a unified voice for the community. This voice would not only represent the positive nature of disability, but would celebrate the successes in the movement in the past, present and future.

We would like to invite you, or a representative from your organization, to attend an initial meeting to discuss the development of this collective and this exciting event opportunity. The focus of this event will be brainstorming where virtually all ideas will be open for discussion. The details of this meeting are as follows:

[...]

DATE: Thursday, March 7th, 2013 Thursday, March 7th, 2013

TIME: 6:30pm to 8:30pm 6:30pm to 8:30pm

PLACE: Room 560, SHE Building, Ryerson University (99 Gerrard St. E) Toronto, ON

We sincerely hope that you will join us for what we hope will be the start of something amazing for the disability community, and for the city of Toronto as a whole. The disability movement has much to celebrate, and we feel that an event such of this will go a long way in raising awareness for disability issues and shining a positive light on our identities. We sincerely hope that you share in our vision, and we invite you to come and help that vision take shape.

Thank you for your time, and we look forward to beginning on this extremely rewarding road.

Regards,

Tim Rose, Natalie Sanborn & Michael DytyniakRoom 560, SHE Building, Ryerson University (99 Gerrard St. E) Toronto, ON