2018 Executive meeting

ac

Apr 12, 2018, 7:24:11 PM4/12/18
to Toronto 350.org

Executive Election Meeting

April 3rd, 2018

  • Land Acknowledgement

I acknowledge the sacred land on which the United Steelworkers Hall operates. This land has been a site of human activity for 15,000 years. This land is the territory of the Huron-Wendat and Petun First Nations, the Seneca, and most recently, the Mississaugas of the Credit River. The territory was the subject of the Dish With One Spoon Wampum Belt Covenant, an agreement between the Iroquois Confederacy and Confederacy of the Ojibwe and allied nations to peaceably share and care for the resources around the Great Lakes. Today, the meeting place of Toronto is still the home to many Indigenous people from across Turtle Island and we are grateful to have the opportunity to work on this territory.

  • Introductions

  • Reviewing Agenda

    - Low turnout so election is being pushed to later in the meeting to accommodate latecomers and maybe move elections to a different day

    1.Climate Justice

    Some suggestions to improve our Climate Justice activity:

    -More speakers who can speak to Climate Justice.

    -Engaging in more conversation externally with those affected by Climate Justice issues, such as indigenous people, people who will be effected by climate issues and disasters

    -Updating our “Commitment to Climate Justice” document.

    -Allow for equal chance at discussion for all members, for a broad range of voices.

    -Create a safe space internally free from prejudiced activity, humour, etc.

    -Making connections with indigenous groups, such as Soaring Eagle camp.

    -Update our communication policies to use the indigenous name of the region and area.

    -Create an event to invite those on the front lines, other activists and indigenous people to meet.

    -Members expressed interest in Climate Justice and want to be a climate justice organization first and foremost to best align our-self with greater social movements.

    -We want to make reaching out to indigenous groups, long time leaders of the environmental and climate fight as a standard part of our formation process for new campaigns.

    3. Ideas for Increasing Membership and Attendance

    Location of Meetings

    Days of the week for Meetings

    Number of Campaigns (focus)

    Rosana believes we should focus on one campaign with small membership

    Amelia Rose believes that we should keep working on both provincial and fossil free campaign

    Kevin believes that we need focus, but feels uncomfortable

    Getting one campaign started that people can engage with

    Open Exec. Meetings

    All members support the idea and want to try

    More consistent meetings

    4. Elections

    Divestment Coordinator - No candidates

    Co-Lead for Fossil Free Campaign - No candidates

    Communications Coordinator - Kalina put her name forward - 4 votes in support, none against, none abstain

    Media Coordinator - No candidates

    Volunteer Coordinator - Anthony put his name forward - 4 votes in support, none against, none abstain.