Shadow constitution

Milan

Sep 22, 2012, 3:53:48 PM9/22/12
to toron...@googlegroups.com
Regarding our meeting on Tuesday, I was thinking we might want to draw up a sort of 'shadow constitution'.

The University of Toronto club is really a mechanism for us to access a bank account, funding, and rooms at U of T.

There isn't any point in having a U of T group that is separate from the general Toronto group. That said, there are limits on what our U of T club constitution can allow. We may want a document of our own that sets down anything that is especially important to us.

It could be general principles like 'everyone contributes to the club on a voluntary basis' or we could set up a system of our own to address the problem that only U of T students can vote on official U of T club motions.

One idea would be to set up a sort of simple electoral college. For instance:

"When a vote is held at a Toronto 350.org executive meeting, a simple majority of votes in favour of a motion shall be deemed equivalent to a majority of University of Toronto student members of the organization voting in favour of the motion. When a simple majority votes against a motion, it shall be deemed equivalent to a majority of University of Toronto student members of the organization voting against of the motion"

Those are just some early thoughts of mine. Please share your ideas.

Note: it would probably be best if the club administrators at U of T never learned about any shadow regulations we create for ourselves.

Milan

Sep 25, 2012, 9:51:29 PM9/25/12
to toron...@googlegroups.com
As noted in these minutes, Stuart and Milan have started a committee to compose a shadow constitution.

Milan

Oct 4, 2012, 10:23:11 AM10/4/12
to toron...@googlegroups.com
Here is the current shadow constitution, as voted upon at this planning meeting.

Next Tuesday's Annual General Meeting will be conducted according to these rules.
ShadowConstitution0-1.doc
ShadowConstitution0-1.pdf

SAT PAL

Aug 30, 2015, 7:39:00 PM8/30/15
to Toronto 350.org
Is there a way to organize the inks so that they are all easily accessible i.e. one place - I searched for ‘board’ and executive and get many results - mostly planning meetings but nothing specific on constitution board or executive? As I am relatively new to to350 it means a lot of digging to 1. remember what I DO know, 2. find and learn what I DON’t know. Then come prepared for the meeting with quotes in hand - bit discouraged.

S.