{Torah & Chassidus} Some Discussion Topics 3

Rabbi Zwecker

Apr 23, 2010, 6:39:20 AM4/23/10
to Torah & Chassidus Discussion

3. Connected to Pirkei Avos:
Mishna 2:1 "What is the proper path that man should choose for
himself?"
The story occurred on Shabbos Bereshis in the Beis Midrash of Rav
Yisroel of Tchortokov. Among the many guests was the Rav of Sanok, Rav
Meir Shapira who was later famous as the Rosh Yeshiva of Chachmei
Lublin and the founder of the Daf HaYomi movement.
On Shabbos morning after the Krias HaTorah the door to the Rebbe's
private room opened and the Rebbe himself made an unusual appearance
where before the astounded chassidim he honored the Rav of Sanok, Rav
Meir Shapirah to bless the new month and to lead the prayers for
Mussaf. This was an unusual occasion to say the least, however Rav
Meir took the amud, and led the congregation. His powerful sweet and
melodious voice awoke a strong outpouring of the soul and a holy
excitement among the chassidim and many later recounted that the aura
of sanctity resembled Yom Kippur. The sweet niggun and songs plucked
the strings of their souls and they were all moved by Rav Meir
Shapira's heartfelt prayers.

Afterwards as the chassidim passed before the Rebbe to receive his Git
Shabbos blessing, Rav Meir too passed before him. “I did not know that
the Rav of Sanok knew so well how to lead the prayers?!” exclaimed the
Rebbe. “I too did not know this,” said Rav Meir innocently, “until the
Rebbe revealed this to me as well!”
The Rebbe invited Rav Meir to kiddush and after the meal they secreted
themselves in the Rebbe's private room for a long drawn out
conversation. When Rav Meir left the Rebbe's room his face shone with
a supernal other worldly aura.
During that conversation, Rav Meir's powerful gift of prayer was
mentioned once again on which he commented, “If I have such a gift
perhaps I should become a Chazzan, it would be appropriate since I am
a descendant of Rav Pinchas Koretzer before whom all the gates of
prayer where open!”
Upon hearing these words the Tchortkover grew suddenly serious and
after a few moments he said, “Rabbi of Sanok allow me to tell you a
tale about the holy Rebbe Reb Zisha of Anniploi, the borther of the
illustrious Rebbe Reb Elimelech of Lizhensk.
Once when Rav Zisha was wandering in self imposed exile from land to
land he arrived in Galicia. He had heard of Rav Yuzpa the famous Rosh
Yeshivah of Zolkava and decided to travel there since his wondrous
shiur, discourses in Talmudic topics were quite legendary. Rav Zisha
travelled there and when he reached Zolkova he entered Rav Yuzpa's
Yeshivah and Talmudic academy. At that time, Rav Yuzpa was in the
midst of a Talmudic pilpul, a deep discussion of the tractate's sugya
and all his students were absorbed in his profound words so that no
one noticed Rav Zisha's appearance in the Yeshivah at all.
Rav Zisha was dressed as a wandering vagabond, in tattered rags with
his walking stick and bundle in hand. He went and sat in the corner
and listened as well to the Tamudic discourse Rav Yuzpa delivered
without removing his eyes from the orator for even a moment.
After the lecture had ended, Rav Zisha approached the Rosh Yeshiva and
said to him, “Thank you so much you deserve such a Yasher Koach for
the lecture you delivered! I have heard of your great erudition and
scholarliness from afar and about your wonderful lectures and
therefore I decided to travel and hear them for myself first hand.
Believe me it was well worth the long and arduous journey!”
Rav Yuzpah heard the words of praise and answered, “Well I am glad
that you enjoyed the lecture and that you heard words of Torah wisdom
which you enjoyed, so I understand why I find favor in your eyes.
However how can you find favor in my eyes? Why I do not yet have the
pleasure of knowing you, who are you and where are you from?” asked
Rav Yuzpa of his guest.
“O' How can a vagabond such as myself find any favor in anyone's eyes?
I do not even know how to learn or study Torah. Why I know nothing at
all!” declared Rav Zisha.
“Impossible,” countered Rav Yuzpah, “It cannot be that you have no
wisdom or sanctity. I sense that deep inside you there is some hidden
treasure which causes you to find favor in my eyes.” concluded the
Rosh Yeshivah.
“I only know how to pray,” concluded Rav Zisha. “Well, what Jew
doesn't know how to do that? Every Jew knows how to pray,” exclaimed
Rav Yuzpah with wonder. “But I know the proper way to pray before the
Master of the World!,” added Rav Zisha.
“If so, reveal it to me, teach me the secrets of your prayer,” asked
Rav Yuzpah. “Very well then, come let us go somewhere private and I
will open the gates of prayer before you,” suggested Rav Zisha.
“And so,” concluded the Tchortkover Rebbe to Rav Meir Shapira, “the
two entered a room and secluded themselves. Rav Zisha taught the Rosh
Yeshivah the secrets of prayer and they pierced deep into Rav Yuzpah's
soul. He grew aflame with excitement and declared, “I will leave my
Yeshivah and go after this man! Just as Elishah followed Eliyahu and
then perhaps during that time I will learn at least how to pray just
one proper prayer in my lifetime! I will learn to stand before the
Master of the World in prayer and to concentrate with true purity. Yes
I will get up right now and leave my Yeshivah!”
“No, no Rav Yuzpah,” countered Rav Zisha. “Let me explain something to
you, our sages taught us that just as man's facial features are
different from one another so too are their minds different. There are
millions and billions of people living in this world, and each one has
a different face from the other. And just as their outer appearance
differs so does their inner essence, their souls and their purpose in
life. And even though each soul can reach its own personal beauty
equally. Why did Hashem create so many people, because each of them
has his unique personal purpose to fulfill a lofty and supernal goal.
Just as there are many people, there are many goals and aspirations
for each individual. Each person has to fulfill his own aspirations
and goals with the tools, talents and character traits that Hashem has
given him. This is why our sages taught that one should always study
from where his heart desires. Sincde man's heart aspires to his
personal goal which Hashem expects of him to fulfill. You Rav Yuzpa
have the talent and power to inspire students and teach them Torah.
Heaven gifted you with this ability to deliver such beautiful Talmudic
lectures and discourses. Leave the gates of prayer for someone like
me,” concluded Rav Zisha.
The Tchortkover ended the tale and turned to Rav Meir Shapira, who
understood the meaning of the Rebbe's words. Later in life when Rav
Meir was the head and Rosh Yeshiva of Chachmei Lublin he told those
close to him about that Shabbos in Tchortkov saying, “With that story
the Rebbe put me in my proper place and set me on the proper path in
life to fulfill my unique mission and purpose, to teach and spread
Torah through chinuch of the next generation of Am Yisroel – the
Jewish nation.”

Now the discussion is up to you. . .

Yisroel

May 3, 2010, 9:47:50 AM5/3/10
to Torah & Chassidus Discussion
This is like another story of Reb Zisha which I request Rabbi Zwecker
to correct me on.

There is a story about the renowned Reb Zusya of Anipoli, who, as he
was dying began softly to weep before the disciples gathered around
his bed.

"Why do you weep?" they asked. "Because I am afraid," said Reb
Zusya. "I am afraid of what God will ask me when I die. I know God
will not ask me, 'Why were you not like Abraham?' -- for who am I next
to the man who first recognized the Almighty? And I know God will not
ask me 'Why were you not like Moses? -- after all, I am not a great
prophet or leader. But when God looks upon me and says, 'Zusya, my
child -- why were you not Zusya?' What shall I say then?"

Like snowflakes, each of us is unique. We took birth to fulfill a
unique destiny. We must fulfill that destiny to find true happiness
through cleaving to HaShem. Reb Zisha and his brother Reb Elimelech
demonstrate this by their extraordinarily different earthly paths but
equally lofty souls.