For all you who complain

MerryChrisMõõsč

Dec 4, 2003, 1:25:39 PM12/4/03
when we get a few inches of snow here in toronto and call in the military to
shovel you out? check these pictures out from winter in Newfoundland last
winter.

http://www.edu.gov.nf.ca/snow/photo.htm

http://stanthony.hypermart.net/storm_2003.htm

Misty Devine

Dec 4, 2003, 1:48:52 PM12/4/03

"MerryChrisMõõsè" wrote:

My god is that really Newfoundland???????

MerryChrisMõõsč

Dec 4, 2003, 2:01:26 PM12/4/03
yeah St. anthony right up on the northern part and the first one is from
labrador. This is going to be my first winter in toronto so it should be a
joke compared to that , hopefully

"Misty Devine" <mdev...@uwo.ca> wrote in message

Misty Devine

Dec 4, 2003, 2:15:42 PM12/4/03
A joke compared to that snow wise maybe..... But winter in T.O. can be a
nightmare in other ways too.

Traffic is horrendous - even before the snow flies. Torontonians are not
people who have wood burning fire places to keep them warm without power. They
don't make preserves to last them through the winter. It is a different kind
of living than the maritimes. This is why the giant is so quick to fall to its
knees when the snow hits. It isn't built to handle hard times!!

goethe

Dec 4, 2003, 2:57:20 PM12/4/03
well...

Toronto is a huge freaking city and has the largest amount of recent
immigrants living in it compared with all other canadian cities. It is only
natural that when you are in a heavily populated area that people are going
to be super wary when they drive or get mobile.

As for the snow removal by the army, I believe that was because Toronto had
so much snow, they had no where to put it. The army didn't shovel the city
out, but they did help with the logistics of where to put all the snow that
otherwise almost never falls in such large volumes here.

: A joke compared to that snow wise maybe..... But winter in T.O. can be a

: > >
:

MerryChrisMõõsč

Dec 4, 2003, 6:20:23 PM12/4/03
you make a good point

cheers

"goethe" <Pi...@yourownplace.com> wrote in message

Defender of Enormous Manhood

Dec 5, 2003, 2:34:09 AM12/5/03

"goethe" <Pi...@yourownplace.com> wrote in message
> well...
>
> Toronto is a huge freaking city and has the largest amount of recent
> immigrants living in it compared with all other canadian cities. It is
only
> natural that when you are in a heavily populated area that people are
going
> to be super wary when they drive or get mobile.
>
> As for the snow removal by the army, I believe that was because Toronto
had
> so much snow, they had no where to put it. The army didn't shovel the city
> out, but they did help with the logistics of where to put all the snow
that
> otherwise almost never falls in such large volumes here.

Yes, but that is not the real story.
The real story is that with all those 0% property tax increases, during all
those mild winters, the snow removal budgets got cut, year after year.
Equipment was broken down. Staff was at a low, and most the work is
contracted out, and done long before the snow falls.

The problem was so much snow fell in such a short time that the city did not
have the capacity to handle clearing 101 cm of snow in one week. It is a
capacity we have now.

The reason why the army was relegated to logistics was that was about as
much help as they could offer.
Yes, they had some artic vehicles that could move around the city, so they
helped people who were stuck in the snow.
They could man shovels and dig some people out. But basically they came with
no plows, no dump trucks, nothing really to actually clear snow. Yes, Mel
panicked and called in the army. But just like most places our army goes, it
really isn't equipped to do what most every army can. So they peace keep, do
logistics, transportation, basic ancillary services to real armies.

And the point a lot of people miss from the little towns and cities is they
have no concept the size of the city, and the thousands of miles of roads in
mostly build up areas. You can't pile the snow 20-30 feet high on the curb.
You have to put it in trucks and cart the shit to snow dumps, dump it. come
back and fill it up again. We had over 1,000 vehicles working 24 hrs a day
for a week to dig out. We can handle a 30-50cm snow fall in one day, but 3
30+cm snow falls in a week. with a snow removal program that was under
funded for years, broken down equipment, short staffed, just kept us buried.
And that cost billions of dollars, and affected each and every tax payer in
Canada negatively by the loss of that business revenue, economic activity
and tax revenue. Shutting down Toronto has dire consequences for everyone,
directly or through trickle down effects. It was no joke. It was very
serious business.

Mel was made to be a bit of a fool, but he made the right call. In the
States, the Mayor would have called in the National Guard. But here we only
have the army. Now if the army brought a couple dozen snow ploughs and
double that amount of dump trucks, then that would have helped. But they
really did nothing substantial. What they did was token. The climax was
their arrival, everything after that was anti-climatic. People love to have
a chance to point their finger at Toronto and have a laugh. Those
opportunities are rare, after all. And that was the news. Mel acting out of
desperation, calls in the army. But the average Toronto citizen for the most
part went on with their day as usual. Okay some places were closed. But many
people made it in to work anyways. Even with the streets covered in deep
snow. That is why we build subways. Moves millions of people a
day....underground...where the snow can't go. And people love to check out
their Blizzaks, because in Toronto, since the 60's anyways, there is seldom
snow on the roads. All that salt we toss onto the blacktop, that leeches
into our soil, that runs down into the lake, where we get our drinking
water. You know the lake where the fish float on the top of the water, Lake
Ontario. Okay, a lot less fish floating, and more fish now than then. So
things are improving, visa vive toxic chemicals. So what's a few thousand
tons of slat each year?

Toronto, you gotta love it. The Little Apple, Hollywood North., Little Wall
Street, Hogtown, what ever image you identify with, we have it all! You
belong right here with Toronto. Come, visit, spend all your cash, max out
your credit, empty out your debit, and you belong right here, right now!

Defender of Enormous Manhood

Dec 6, 2003, 12:00:48 AM12/6/03

"Jo McCabe" <j...@coldmail.com> wrote in message

> What really should have been doen was to have Mel and City Council
> walk the streets while giving speeches, and all the hot air would have
> melted the snow in no time.

Yes, that would have dug the city out in about an hour!\