Re: [TopOfUtah] Digest for topofutah@googlegroups.com - 2 updates in 1 topic

Mike Taylor

Sep 29, 2015, 11:42:01 AM9/29/15
to topo...@googlegroups.com
This is the second year in a row the chickadees have come down in the fall into my yard in Logan.  I didn't have any the previous 4 years.

Mike

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 5:19 AM, <topo...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
"Kristin Purdy" <kristi...@comcast.net>: Sep 28 09:39AM -0600

Remember last winter's Mountain Chickadee irruption? I wonder if several
sightings over the past 9 days are foretelling another one.

On Saturday, September 19, my companions and I saw a Mountain Chickadee in
an isolated chokecherry in the sagebrush-covered Ant Valley in Cache County.
The habitat was very weird for a Mountain Chickadee even though the
elevation was 6,971 feet.

On Tuesday, September 22, I saw a Mountain Chickadee in deciduous trees at
Windsurfer Beach at Pineview Reservoir, Weber County, elevation 4,916 feet.

Yesterday, September 27 I had the weirdest sighting yet. I saw a Mountain
Chickadee in a tamarisk along the Bear River near Bear River MBR in Box
Elder County at 4,216 feet.

Is anyone else seeing Mountain Chickadees in unusual habitats and elevations
that indicate the species is on the move?

Kris
"Kristin Purdy" <kristi...@comcast.net>: Sep 28 08:24PM -0600

How weird is this? Just a few hours after I sent my original post this morning and received reports of numerous Mountain Chickadee sightings at lower elevations, a Mountain Chickadee appeared in my yard on the east bench of Ogden, Weber County, at about 5,000 feet. The only other time I’ve had Mountain Chickadees in the yard was last year during the irruption.

The other locations birders reported sightings were:

Tracy Aviary, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County

The Wild Bird Center, Layton, Davis County

Payson Kiwanis Park, Payson, Utah County

West Warren Cemetery, Weber County

So add those five sightings to the first three I reported and it seems as though yes, Mountain Chickadees are on the move again this fall and are being seen at uncommonly low elevations.

Kris