SAP Question

Adam Sampson

Apr 1, 2024, 8:18:18 PMApr 1
to TopoDroid
From one of the websites I was seeing that this device should be able to connect to SAP6 and was wondering if I'm reading this correctly.

I'm having issues connecting and am trying to make sure I'm not trying to do something that isn't possible.

I'm able to pair my SAP6 to android and am able to see it as SAP_EE in my bluetooth devices. Sexytopo is able to connect to the device and take readings. However, I cannot get Topodroid to detect the SAP6.

I have tried to make sure that TopodroidX has all the permissions it needs. In settings it shows that it is allowed to use camera, location, microphone, and nearby devices. Under "not allowed" there are no permissions.

In TopodroidX I have socket type Insecure (but I have tried it both ways).

I thought I would ask here if anyone has any tips for connecting, or if it just isn't supported.

Thanks in advance,

Adam Sampson

Marco Corvi

Apr 1, 2024, 9:10:15 PMApr 1
to topo...@googlegroups.com
support for SAP6 is untested, just like support for BRIC5, because i don't have the device.

topodroid is rather picky about communicating with bt devices.
it uses only those that advertise with one of the names it knows, as the communication protocol could be different between different versions of a device.

for sure the advertised name "SAP_EE" is not among the names known by topodroid.
i may try and add it.
before i do that, i need to know whether the name is the same for all SAP6 devices or only a portion of it remains the same, otherwise topodroid recignizes only your sap6

Message has been deleted

Marco Corvi

Apr 2, 2024, 1:56:13 PMApr 2
to topo...@googlegroups.com
i went over the mail exchange with Underwood about SAP6

He stated that SAP6 afvertises with a name beginning with "SAP6_" therefore topodroid expects this sort of names.

anyways, the data exchange protocol was not completed because Underwood did not finished answering my questions.

so SAP6 support is still a work in progress, or i should say in stall😁

Yuriko Chikano

Apr 3, 2024, 2:33:45 AMApr 3
to topo...@googlegroups.com
Dear Marco san.
My friend has exactly the same problem with SAP6.
Her device shows up as SAP6_HI as the attched image.

It would be very helpful if you could add her device ID in the next update.

Thank you in advance from Japan!
Yuriko Chikano

2024/04/02 午前10:10 Marco Corvi <marco...@gmail.com>:
1712063206335.jpg

Marco Corvi

Apr 3, 2024, 2:55:18 AMApr 3
to topo...@googlegroups.com
TopoDroid uses only the devices known and paired to the system (Android).
It gets the list of BT devices from Android.

Among the devices included in the list it recognizes only those that have
specific advertised names.
For SAP6 the advertised name must start with "SAP6_" (witout quotes).
The "SAP6_" is considered as "device model".
Whatever follows the underscore is taken as the "device code".

The device model is used to decide which communication protocol to use,
and which actions (supported by the protocol) can be presented to the user.

The protocol for the SAP6 is not debugged.
As of topodroid v. 6.2.16 SAP6 support is defined as "guess-port"
(as stated in the list of changes on the apk download page), which means
that the code is a guess of what it should be, it has not been tested at all,
let alone debugged.

If anyone is willing to help to debug it i will be happy to describe how to go
about it.

A SAP6 device is necessary to do this, and i am not willing to buy
one because i already bought a SAP5 and i realized it is a toy compared to
the DistoX (even to the first model based on the A3) and the BRIC.

The SAP6 looks better from what i read around, but it is still far from the level
of the other devices.

On Wed, Apr 3, 2024 at 8:33 AM Adam Sampson <sampso...@gmail.com> wrote:
I think it would be pretty easy for me to modify the SAP firmware on my device to use a different name. I'm guessing that "SAP6" is the name it is looking for?

Thanks for the info. If you can confirm that name is what it is looking for I can look up how to update my device and I'll post here how I did it.

Adam