Hi Marco,
I am having some issues when importing an SVG into Adobe Illustrator (CS4 on a Mac, and CS6 on Windows). In TDX versions 6.3 and 6.4,
the drawings were imported with the stroke and fill reversed (all in black). I downloaded both 6.5.5-37 and 6.5.10-37 — now all the drawings have no stroke and no fill (the centerline and grid seem to be okay). I can highlight everything and set the stroke, but then it is all monochrome, without the nice red, white, and green that I used for sketching. My older SVGs (from last year) still import correctly, but I don’t know what TDX version I used for those.
I can send you more details if you need them (models of phone and tablet, Android versions, etc), but this seems to be a universal problem (several of my colleagues in the US are having the same results).
Something must have changed in these later versions of Topodroid.
Nancy
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "TopoDroid" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to topodroid+...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/topodroid/0f37d945-417b-42e8-9bad-1ff2c6ea5852n%40googlegroups.com.
Hi Marco,I spoke with another caver who uses a recent version of Adobe Illustrator (Creative Cloud, paid subscription). He said the SVGs work fine in his program. I also looked at the SVGs (old and new) in an SVG reader program on my computer (Mac), and they all look okay. So it does look like it is a problem with the legacy models of Adobe Illustrator (the CS series). However, many cavers still use these older programs for drafting, because the newer versions are paid subscriptions and expensive.I imported an SVG that was produced by the latest version of TDX (6.5.10-37), and determined what was different from previous SVGs that imported properly. I attached a screenshot of how Adobe Illustrator separates the layers.The primary layer is called <Group>. Under that, there are sublayers for each scrap. Each scrap is divided into sublayers for areas and lines (and presumably points, but I rarely use those). The areas and lines are further sublayered into specific areas and lines.When I select the ‘areas water’ sublayer, the fill is on (with the color black), and there is no stroke. In older TDX, the fill would be blue, and the stroke would be on (in black).When I select the ‘lines border’ sublayer, there is no fill or stroke. In older TDX, the stroke would be green (and fill would be off).When I select the ‘lines chimney’ sublayer, there is no fill or stroke. In older TDX, the stroke would be purple.When I select the ‘lines user’ sublayer, there is no fill or stroke. In older TDX, the stroke would be white (or light grey).When I select the ‘lines wall’ sublayer, there is no fill or stroke. In older TDX, the stroke would be red.This is the same for all the scrap sublayers.However, the centerline sublayers (stations* and legs) are fine, and so are the grid sublayers. As far as I can tell, it is only a problem with the ’stroke’ settings for areas and lines (and possibly points, but points don’t import well into Adobe Illustrator, so few people use them for this purpose).* As you can see in the screenshot, the stations now include triangles. The triangles were not in the old SVGs. I like them, because they help when I am trying to line up stations from multiple plots.If it would help, I can send you the SVGs that I used to figure this out.Nancy
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "TopoDroid" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to topodroid+...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/topodroid/CAJiQYo3aO%2BCGh0Fmv-vpwWREs71sM3AcSYZaw5wpZM1%3D8-%3D0Pg%40mail.gmail.com.
Hi,Here is where assistance is needed:
- Handling of SVG files across different software versions, ideally tested with paid applications.I only have Illustrator CS4 (Mac) and CS6 (Windows). I don’t have access to the paid version, but I'm happy to help test anything. Let me know.
- Insights into user habits: understanding the workflow used to create the final map. TopoDroid’s output formats can be optimized based on this information.For my workflow: I save the SVG with ‘Group elements in layers by type’ checked. It gets imported into Illustrator as one layer, divided into many sublayers (I have a template already set up in Illustrator for the way I like to organize layers). I expand the SVG layer, then go through the sublayers, modifying and/or moving most of them. For example, I move the grid to its own layer, same with stations and legs. I open up each of the ‘lines’ sublayers, modify the stroke and fill to the appropriate values, then move those into the layers on my template. (With the newest version of TDX, the stroke and fill are set to ’none’, so I have to change those.) Same with the areas.
This gives me more control to turn on and off layers when I want them. When I am drafting the map, I only use the SVG as a reference (a.k.a. ‘pencil draft’ before digital). I trace over the drawing with my own set of symbols and brush strokes. I find this is faster than trying to incorporate the actual paths from the SVG.Most of my friends who use TDX and Illustrator also just use the SVG as a template, and trace over the drawing in separate layers.
Hi Marco,I just tried v.6.5.19 and the SVG export works in my old Adobe Illustrator! Thank you!Nancy