Photo point type

Nigel Cooke

May 11, 2024, 8:57:48 AMMay 11
to TopoDroid

Hi,

I have a sketch export from Topodroid (6.2.47-34) into Therion format that contains a Photo point. In Topodroid the point is associated with a photograph in .jpg format. The export .th2 file shows a line like this :

point 258.69 97.28 photo -text "a photo" -photo 1.jpg

 When I try to process the .th2 file in Therion I find that Therion doesn't like the -text or the -photo parameters. The Therion book doesn't say a lot about it and doesn't include those parameters or any others relating specifically to the photo point type.

Was the intention of this point type to allow the photo image to be displayed on a Therion map? If yes, how do I get it to work in Therion. If no, would it better to export the point without the parameters? That way at least it would not cause an error during the Therion processing. Without parameters Therion produces the map and places a camera looking symbol at the relevant point. This is similar to the way it is displayed in Topodroid.

Ideally I'd like Therion to grab the image and place it on the map at the position of the photo point. That may be achievable using Metapost to redefine the photo point symbol but for the moment I just need to have the point on the map and not kill the Therion processing.

 Any suggestions or clarification would be greatly appreciated.

 Thanks

 Nigel

Marco Corvi

May 12, 2024, 2:14:38 PMMay 12
to topo...@googlegroups.com
point photo is in the additional sets of symbols.

these are tester-level features, therefore you cannot expect they work completely and without flaw.

ideally therion should place the picture at the point position.

the -text attribute could be a caption for the picture, or it could be ignored.
there is something missing here, namely the size of the image in the output map.
this depends on the map scale.
i dont know how to specify the size in topodroid, maybe a "-size" attribute (horizontal width in meters)

so, point photo is incomplete, both in topodroid and as regards the therion export.

a temporary workaround would be to export it as user-defined point, although handling images may require more than metapost alone.

Nigel Cooke

May 13, 2024, 5:56:30 AMMay 13
to TopoDroid
Thanks Marco.

Now I can make sense of what is happening. It's probably just as easy to manually add the images into the maps rather than use a user-defined point. Automation will just have to wait for another day.

Cheers

Nigel

Balambér Hakapesz

May 13, 2024, 6:05:39 AMMay 13
to topo...@googlegroups.com
I think the photo is exactly the point from which the picture was taken. It's inside the cave. If we put the picture there, it covers the drawing.

B.

Nigel Cooke

May 13, 2024, 6:50:20 AMMay 13
to TopoDroid
Hi  Balambér,
I agree, it would be difficult to place the photo inside the cave walls so that it didn't obscure important details of the map. I'm trying to document the lighting system inside a show cave. My thought was to place a custom symbol for say a junction box on the sketch where it appears inside the cave. I then wanted to add a photo off to the side that showed an image of the junction box. The photo point would be placed on the sketch outside of the cave so that it didn't obscure the map. The two points would have to be tied together in some way that made sense to the viewer.
Cheers
Nigel

Marco Corvi

May 14, 2024, 5:06:26 AMMay 14
to topo...@googlegroups.com
i realized that the point "photo" is a little special as it can consist of two points,
a photo point, which is the place where the photo is taken from (the direction
of the photo is stored in the file exif) and a picture point, which is where the
image is placed on the map.

the display "size" is an attribute of the picture.
the photo has a "text" attribute, that can be an annotation to the photo
(a comment, a description, or a note)

now i am experimenting this idea linking the picture to the photo
(topodroid already has links, for examples a section point is linked to the
item of the section).

this is not (yet) supported by therion.
it cannot be expected that the two programs be fully compatible since
they address two different tasks of the cave mapping process, and their
evolution is independent.