Cave Profiles

Jeff Taylor

Jan 10, 2024, 11:49:42 AMJan 10
to TopoDroid
What is the difference between an extended and projected profile?

The profiles that I see on TD do not extend on a 2-dimensional surface, there are still curves and corners. It would be easy if the cave was a straight tube, but it's not. Is there any way to straighten the cave in TD and keep the plays and the vertical parts?

Cheers,
Jeff

Garry Petrie

Jan 10, 2024, 1:46:48 PMJan 10
to topo...@googlegroups.com
TD -- Therion?  Projected is what we would do in mechanical drawings, each point in the plan view is projected up in a straight line from the profile view. Thus the width of both plan and profile views are the same. This works well for linear caves.

Extended is where the azimuth is ignored in the profile plot and each shot is drawn at its full length. This is for sinuous caves. About 95% of my profiles are projected, which might say something about lava tubes.

Garry